Should I believe the AC repair man?

Page 1 of 2
We have a HVAC unit for a townhouse. It is 10 years old. We live in Virginia. The unit has been slowly leaking freon over the past 2 years, such that we have had to fill up the freon every spring in order for it
to cool properly. This spring, when we had the freon filled, we asked the guy to add dye so we could find out where the leak was. Today he checked the unit, and said the leak was mostly in the coils of the inside unit, and that we would have to replace both the inside unit and the outside unit (at a cost of $5500) in order to fix the problem.
I asked if we could repair the coils and he said you can't repair coils. I asked if we could replace the coils and he said he can't buy replacement coils because the efficiency standards have changed. I asked if we could replace just the inside unit (and not the outside unit because
the outside unit works fine) but he said this wasn't possible because then the two units wouldn't be compatible. I asked if we could just keep adding freon each year, and he says this is illegal, as it violates EPA rules about letting ozone-depleting freon into the atmosphere. He swears the only solution is complete replacement of the whole system.
Does this sound right to you? Could he be trying to take us for a ride? Should I get a second opinion?
If we do have to replace the unit, is $5500 the right price range for such a job, or should I shop around on that? How do we find the best deal for a new one?
Thank you so much!

That guy is a crook. Tell him to stop jerking you around and use a stop-leak charge of freon. He doesn't want to fix it because he enjoys getting your money. You don't need a new system--just a can of stop-leak.

Before you go spend $5500 for something you probably dont need, find yourself a contractor/service tech who will install this product into your leaking system:
http://www.cliplight.com/hvacr /
I have successfully used this product for 2 yrs now, with no callbacks, on package and split systems ranging in size from 1.5 tons to 40 tons.
I have been told Carrier Corporation uses it on BRAND NEW coils that have pinhole leaks.

Everything he told you is a lie. Im surprised he didnt try to sell you new duct work claiming the need for increased air flow requirements like the other crooks do.
We have a HVAC unit for a townhouse. It is 10 years old. We live in Virginia. The unit has been slowly leaking freon over the past 2 years, such that we have had to fill up the freon every spring in order for it
to cool properly. CY: Yep, that sounds like a leak.
This spring, when we had the freon filled, we asked the guy to add dye so we could find out where the leak was. Today he checked the unit, and said the leak was mostly in the coils of the inside unit, CY: Woulda been nice to get some dye in there. So, the inside unit is leaking.
and that we would have to replace both the inside unit and the outside unit (at a cost of $5500) in order to fix the problem. CY: You don't mention the tonnage, or some of that. And we havn't seen the setup. Dont know if the air handlers are in the ceiling, cellar, crawl space, etc. But 5.5k sounds a bit high.
I asked if we could repair the coils and he said you can't repair coils. CY: I've heard of folks repairing coils. Actually, I've done it.
I asked if we could replace the coils and he said he can't buy replacement coils because the efficiency standards have changed. CY: well, you can get replacement coils, but the new ones are more efficient.
I asked if we could replace just the inside unit (and not the outside unit because
the outside unit works fine) but he said this wasn't possible because then the two units wouldn't be compatible. CY: Ok, so they are slightly different designs. Still runs on liquid refrigerant and change to vapor state.
I asked if we could just keep adding freon each year, and he says this is illegal, as it violates EPA rules about letting ozone-depleting freon into the atmosphere. CY: The last I knew, the EPA only mandates leak fix in equipment over a certain size. I remember something about 50 pound refrigerant capacity.
He swears the only solution is complete replacement of the whole system.
Does this sound right to you? Could he be trying to take us for a ride? Should I get a second opinion? CY: I don't t hink that sounds right. I'd suggest at least two more opinions.
If we do have to replace the unit, is $5500 the right price range for such a job, or should I shop around on that? How do we find the best deal for a new one? CY: Shop around.
Thank you so much!

You're a dummy cocksucker....Aren't you?
I just quoted and GOT $5950.00 for just a condenser.
"You don't mention the tonnage, or some of that".....Some of THAT ?
You've got to be a troll.....Nobody could really be that fucking stupid.
see replys in-line and below

Why didn't you get it repaired the *first* time??

Maybe, maybe not

Generally the evap (inside) coils are not repairable. Depending on the make/model, OEM replacement coils may still be available, but they are not free.

The new equipment is not generally compatable with the old... the rules changed in January. Let me throw another wrench in the works.... R-22 (the old refrigerent) is being phased out and in only 3 1/2 years, no more equipment that requires R-22 will be manufactured. http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/phaseout/hcfc.html As far as the system being gassed up each year, consider that with the diminishing supply of R-22, you are going to be paying dearly for the privelage....and its not illegal unless the system holds more than 50 pounds of refrigerant and it loses 30% of its charge in 12 months. FWIW, *IF* you decide to replace the entire system, I would highly recommend a system that takes R-410a refrigerant.

It never hurts to have a second opinion.

$5500?? I dunno... what type system?? gas heat?? heat pump?? what efficiency??? what size?? what refrigerant?? any ductwork?? new lineset?? any electrical updates?? sheet metal?? .........That would be like saying "I can get a new car for $20,000....is that the right price range, or should I shop around? Without a whole lot more information, nobody can even venture a guess.

It depends where you live. In Canada, it is illegal to top up a system unless you repair the leak.
--
Respectfully, Bob

wrote

As I live south of the Mason-Dixon Line, I am kind of ignorant of all those foreign countries up north like New York, Detroit, and Canada

OK,I have to ask. I've heard it mentioned in movies and I think a few songs...but just where is the Mason-Dixon line and what makes it a notable boundary? Why not the names of two states? I'm wondering if it has it's roots from the civil war?
--
Respectfully, Bob

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:22:13 GMT, "Bob_Loblaw"

Lack of teeth. South of the Mason-Dixie line its very hard to solve crimes because everyones DNA is the same.

LOL !!!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon

Then you qualify for black market refrigerant.
It's sold in red-necked cylinders.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Im not surprised
Noon-Air wrote

R22 is a better gas than 410a as its not a blend and is easier to work with. If you get a gas leak with a blend, the correct method of repair is to dump (reclaim) the whole lot a provide a full recharge (R22 can be topped up). You can't tell which component of the blend has leaked more than the other. You can't 'top up' a blend. Personally I'd stick to R22. Its a bloody good gas.

the link that I posted earlier.

    I could say the same for something I passed earlier, except there's no link to it.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /

Did it eminate from south of YOUR Mason-Dixon line? LOL
--
Respectfully, Bob

Noon-Air wrote:

I understand the phase out. But based on the phase out speed of R11, R22 will be around for quite some time. At least its not a blend.