short cycling

25+ year old NG Furnace runs 3 mins then off 9 mins to maintain within +/-1F of the setpoint. I am timing it from by the meter start/stop sounds so the fan is on for 4-5 mins of which the 1st 2 produce no real heat. Seems very inefficient to me. Is this called short cycling? Is it possible to reduce the output BTU's so it runs longer?
Reply to
Dan

"Dan" wrote

And???.....sounds to me like it's doing it's job... BTW, it's ready to retire....

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Replace the thermostat.

Reply to
James

Its long past its normal design service life.... you need to look at replacing it.

Reply to
Noon-Air

absolutely. you probably lack the tools or knowledge though

I have a solution you can apply immediately, no tools or knowledge needed. open a few windows until the furnace operates at your desired cycling.

Reply to
gofish

Dan I can not gave you solution but is very inefficient ideal is 30% off and 60% on but is only me rambling Dido

Reply to
AKS

Where did you get that?

ideal is 100% on.