short cycling

25+ year old NG Furnace runs 3 mins then off 9 mins to maintain within +/-1F of the setpoint. I am timing it from by the meter start/stop sounds so the fan is on for 4-5 mins of which the 1st 2 produce no real heat. Seems very inefficient to me. Is this called short cycling? Is it possible to reduce the output BTU's so it runs longer?

And???.....sounds to me like it's doing it's job... BTW, it's ready to retire....
--
Respectfully, Bob

Replace the thermostat.

Its long past its normal design service life.... you need to look at replacing it.

absolutely. you probably lack the tools or knowledge though
I have a solution you can apply immediately, no tools or knowledge needed. open a few windows until the furnace operates at your desired cycling.
Dan I can not gave you solution but is very inefficient ideal is 30% off and 60% on but is only me rambling Dido

Comments would be superfluous....
--
Respectfully, Bob

AKS posted for all of us...