Sequencer Relays

Hi all,

I have a heat pump with electric heat backup elements in my blower unit. There are 3 elements in this 15KW unit. Each one has a sequencer relay. Can sometime describe the function of the sequencer relays and also the Limit Switches? I believe the sequencer are for staging the elements so they don't all turn on at the same time but I'm wondering exactly how it does that.

Also, if my thermostat has only one W output connect to the unit, will all the elements turn on or will they be staged based on the temperature conditions at the time?

Thanks!

Paul

Reply to
EnigmaPaul

time delays built into the sequencers.

yes, no

Reply to
Steve

Typically the sequencers have a bimettalic spring actuated switch that is heated by your 24V thermostat voltage, unlike a magnetic relay there is an inherent delay due to the time it takes to heat the bimetal portion--in practical usage you will find these available having various delay times...generally from 1/2 up to 2 minutes

The limit switches are for fire prevention due to overheating of the heating elements from of loss of airflow or from some other cause.

Depends on the sequencers delay spec and the control / HV wiring--for instance consider the case of 3 each 5 kw strips for a total of 15kw..here, "staging" can be done by using sequencers all having different delay times or it can be done by using 3 ea 2pole sequencers all having the same delay rate, here one pole actuates a 220v heater element with the other pole of the same sequencer passing 24v onto the next sequencer in your "cascade"..

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

And not even a thank you for a polite, well thought out, accurate answer.

Reply to
Zyp