self install

I take that as NO they don't and NO they won't.

BTW, nice to see you might get raped on a Goodman unit. LOL

Reply to
<kjpro

ROFL

Reply to
Zyp

This group tends to be a bit touchy because there are so many hacks and people looking for something for free out there, and they have to fix the hacks work...

As an inspector who sees the stuff they have to fix, I often agree with them...but it does get old...

That said... HVAC work requires some very special training and tools to do PROPERLY.

I am sure you can rent some of the tools, but if used improperly that can be a hazzard to you AND the enviornment besides being very illegal in many different ways. CA has some of the stricter rules on Freon capture, recycling and sales. Anyone who buys/sells/recycles or otherwise trades in a refrigeration unit to someone without the propper credentials is probably risking a Big fine and or possibly their own licence.

Ok.. Next is the replacement of an "achient" unit... it will probably need some "conversion" duct work, so electrical work, and some plumbing (drain) work. All of those are licenced trades. Wiring in a few circuits is not the same as wiring a 50A 220 circuit... duct work needs to be verified, and most people don&#39;t have the tools to do it, and lastly plumbing...yes it only goes downhill, and it ain&#39;t all water, but there is more to it to make it safe and make it last, and not leak, or your roof leak. Did we mention roof work.

My suggestion is that you call SEVERAL contractors and ask for detailed proposals and references and credentials and associations OF THE PERSON WHO IS GOING TO DO THE WORK. So many times a company will have one master HVAC tech "on staff" but most of the work is done by hacks... same for electricians in an HVAC company.

Be prepared mentally to pay for the expertese that the GOOD contractors bring on site, not to mention the tools, the licences, the training, the...

Good contractors are worth paying... bad contractors should be put in a Room with Stormy and HateMe and a few others and the door locked... I am just a cheap as the next Zot, sometimes worse because this forum has taught me to see even more of the shortcuts that hacks take... and I ask LOTS of questions so I can learn how to maintain my systems, and what are the warning signs to call someone professional in...

Take everything said here with a grain of salt, and understand where some of them come from... and what they see and hear... and then be willing to pay a professional a professional wage.

Bob Sisson.

Reply to
Bob Sisson

Does anybody have the links to some of the Goodman package unit installs from the "wall of shame"??

Reply to
Noon-Air

How many do you want? LOL

Reply to
<kjpro

I was thinking of the goodman on top of the Trane with the flex "hoses" going through the doors on the Trane

Reply to
Noon-Air

Hehe a classic... Or the package unit connected by flex to a siding door panel. LOL

Reply to
<kjpro

That picture Noon is talking about is a classic. I actually EMailed it to our office and they printed it out and put it up on the wall. As I remember, assuming it is indeed the same pic, it was two smaller units sitting on top of a larger one-- maybe 2 5&#39;s sitting on a 10 or 15. Another beauty was an upflow air handler with the primary and secondary drains hooked up with copper-- traps made out of 90s etc. AND they put the same thing on the drains for horizontal left- which was at the TOP of the coil. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Yep, I remember that one too... every port was connected. LOL

Reply to
<kjpro