Seeking Suggestions/Tips before covering up the central A/C for the season.

I guess I'll be opening up the panels and get any debris or dust that may have accumulated, but besides that, are there other procedures I should perform before I cover up the central A/C until next summer?

Yes, it's already getting chilly here in Edmonton, Alberta. There's even a frost warning out for overnight. So, I figure using the A/C won't be necessary until next summer. Thanks.

Reply to
Holy Moses

A good rinsing with a solution of boraic acid, then muratic acid cleans the coils very well along with a light belt sanding. Dont thank me. I do this everyday. Thank someone like Stormy, DaNgER, or one of the other baboons that squeezed in through the crack in the skylight. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Yeah, don't cover it!!!!!!!!

Reply to
<kjpro

Why not?

Reply to
Holy Moses

Where can I get a hold of the solutions you mentioned above? Thanks.

Reply to
Holy Moses

Holds in moisture.

Reply to
<kjpro

Bubba, you might want to let this one off the hook... LOL

Reply to
Joseph

Oh, and another thing, are these acid solutions sold as ready to use, or do I have to dilute the acid solution with water? If so, what would be the recommended ratio? Thanks.

Reply to
Holy Moses

Bubba??????

Reply to
Joseph

For the ones Bubba listed, use a 1-1 ratio. However, if you use Hydrochloric acid, just use it straight and rinse the unit off 10 mins after application. This is much easier since you don&#39;t have to mess around with measuring and mixing the solution.

Reply to
<kjpro

And you probably won&#39;t have to clean the coil next year, seeing how *there won&#39;t be a coil.*

Reply to
Zyp

Im sorry. I got distracted. I was listening to the wind whip through one of your ears and right out the other end.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sounds nice! I&#39;m dreading my 4-mile lunch run because the temperature is supposed to be 97 degrees today.

Of course, my w>I guess I&#39;ll be opening up the panels and get any debris or dust that

Reply to
jp2express

Hmm, I am in Calgary, when I looked outside to check temp. it was 3 deg. C. Went out to walk the dog, mountains are covered with snow! Our winter is very dry so really it does not feel that cold. Some Indian elder said to me the other day, we&#39;re in for early winter. I&#39;d rather be cold than hot, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Wouldn&#39;t you know it, just as I was done with cleaning the A/C unit with the recommended solutions, the weather turned warm and needed to have the A/C come on again.

But I find that it&#39;s making some awful weird noise and it&#39;s vibrating violently as well. Any idea? I&#39;ve left a message with my A/C technician, but in the meantime, if someone can suggest some of the things I can look into, I&#39;d appreciate it.

Reply to
Holy Moses

Holy Moses,

How about the old "smite with thy rod" trick? Couldn&#39;t hurt to try?

-zero

8-)
Reply to
-zero

You know it is one thing to refuse to help a person with a problem or suggest that he seek a professional to solve it, but to suggest advice that will ruin his system is quite another. It is no wonder that people are trying to repair their own units or determine what is wrong BEFORE calling a HVAC person. You have made it very clear that some so called "Professionals" are nothing more that insecure individuals who fear that someone will find out just how few unique skills they really have.

If the HVAC trade were my field I would be ashamed of someone like you being associated with the same trade. In fact, I would be ashamed of you being associated with ANY trade.

To those in your trade (if you really have one) and are ashamed of someone like you, no blanket criticism is intended. But for YOU, go ahead and flame me with your limited vocabulary. You will only confirm my opinion of you.

Reply to
Ken

The office you need is down the hall and to the left.

Reply to
Noon-Air

sir, here in ky usa, we just get any leaves or debris out off the unit and put a cover on top ,like a plywood or plexiglass,just anything flat will work. put a few bricks on it to keep it on. this will keep the leaves and snow out of it during winter. we dont clean the condenser fins till spring,unless its a heatpump. you can get coil cleaners on ebay, but usually just rinsing with water is fine. lucas

ds549

Holy shit, I feel sorry for you. You must have one shitty f****ng job. LOL!

Reply to
Holy Moses