RV Furnace question, leaky pilot valve, 1975 Hydro Flame FA-7232 model

This furnace won't light the pilot light. I can turn the red valve to the pilot position and hold it down to ignite the pilot light with a lighter. The pilot lights up just once with a little poof and then won't stay lit while holding down the red button. In fact if flame is placed near the valve it will light up under the button. So I am assuming that although I may have problems with the thermocouple as well I do have a gas leak.
The problem is that nobody seems to make this replacement valve. It's a 11 W.C. of pressure propane tank with Input of 31500, BTU/hr and Output of 25200 BTU/hr. MAX external static pressure .2"W.C.
I'm told that the part is not made anymore and there is no solution less than replacing the whole heating unit. Surely this can't be the case??? It seems that perhaps I may need a simple oring gasket or something to perhaps rebuild the old one. Or can an new unit with the above specs be used?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Dustin

How about a make, model and serial number for the unit the gas valve is attached to.

It's a 1975 Hydro Flame FA-7232 model and it also has a tab with a serial number H666483 from Underwriters Laboratories. Does that help?
Thanks,

It's a 1975 Hydro Flame FA-7232 model and it also has a tab with a serial number H666483 from Underwriters Laboratories. Does that help?
Yup... I sort of figured it was going to be jurassic. Its 33 years old, *NOTHING* lasts forever. The company is still in business,and they still make them. You can buy a whole new furnace for around $850

.
So how does a replacement valve problem turn into immediate purchase of a new model? I'm looking for the fix not the replacement if possible. Hydro Flame has been bought out and the model I'm looking for doesn't have replacement parts. I was wondering if a new regulator could be installed.
Thanks,
Dustin

So how does a replacement valve problem turn into immediate purchase of a new model? I'm looking for the fix not the replacement if possible. Hydro Flame has been bought out and the model I'm looking for doesn't have replacement parts. I was wondering if a new regulator could be installed.
You said it yourself... the gas valve is not available, which leaves your only option of replacing the 33 year old POS. You certainly don't leave a gas furnace that old in your home, so why would you do it in your RV?? BTW.. that replacement furnace is a Hydro Flame. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-furnaces/lp-gas-furnace-heater.htm http://www.marksrv.com/furnace.htm http://www.campingworld.com/category/furnaces/209 2 seconds on yahoo search.
For a tech to come out and replace the existing gas valve with a new one that will work, and correctly set it ups and properly adjust the manifold pressures,be prepared to write a check for around 4 bills, provided that there is nothing else that is found wrong with it. For another 4 1/2 bills you can put in a whole new furnace and be done with it.
Dustin wrote:

Might I siuggest the prompt purchase and installation of a decent Carbon Monoxide detector. Be on the safe side. A Smoke/Fire alarm is also a good idea. Mitchel South Dakota lost a family to Carbon Monoxide over the weekend. 4 fire fighters on the EMT squad were also sent to the hospital with dangerous levels of CO in their systems from just being in the home. IUt doesn't happen real often, but once is more then enough.

You sir, are an idiot. Quit giving bogus advice out before you kill someone. I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
ftwhd wrote:

Why would you want to jeopardize your family's vacation? Using LP is dangerous enough without someone adding to the mix. Replace the furnace with a new appliance as Steve and Noonie suggested. It will give you years of service and relieve the stress of knowing your RV won't blow up when you turn on the heater.
Thinking further, why not just buy a new RV. The economy needs your cash!
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

Have Stormy repost that URL with the House heading for the moon.