Running fan continuously?

Too bad that the general public is now finding out the hard way about the Montreal Protocol, and its effects on their wallets in a country that is in a hell of a financial recession..... Do you really want to go to Kyoto?? What will Kyoto do to benifit John Q Homeowner?? or is it just gonna cost more money??

Reply to
Noon-Air

I'm very happy with our amount of snow. I don't know maybe we could trade some of our summer humidity for some of ya'lls snow. My youngest girl was 4 years old before she got to play in some snow (finally snowed this last winter). If ya'lls ain't a word please remember this is the South. We tend to talk a little different (and date our cousins). Did you guys hear about the governors mansion catching fire here? It almost burnt down the whole trailor park. ;-) Rodney Rodney

Reply to
Rod

om

Kyoto would be a great idea if Kyoto was a person or company that was able to clean the atmostphere

Reply to
cdd

Yeah! I would like to send him my last winters heat bill. And this summers gasoline bill... ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

Agreed.

Reply to
Don Ocean

It doesn't look like it has any insulation -- appears to me to be ordinary PVC (3" or 4" diam.)

Reply to
Ted Lee

The fresh air ("combustion air" they called it) comes through a 6" round duct -- some of it sheet metal, most of it appears to be a flexible black plastic or fiber. It is not a small PVC. And that was not an easy install -- they had to go a circuitous route paralleling the main support beam so as not to have to cut through any joists in going 10 feet away. Two other factors may be relevant -- the fresh air serves both the furnace and the water heater and we do have a gas dryer, all of which are in the same room in the basement -- it's possible it was the dryer vent they had to stay

10 feet away from. (I suppose the fresh air also serves the dryer.)
Reply to
Ted Lee

Well, until proven otherwise I'll have to trust the installers know what they are doing (they've been in business here for a long time.)

Reply to
Ted Lee

OK, the furnace itself does have a short (foot and half or so long) piece of PVC sticking up above the unit (parallel to the exhaust) that I assume is its fresh air intake -- the air being supplied to the furnace/laundry room area through that 6" ductwork from the outside. While we had them replace the water heater at the same it time (the old one was getting pretty old) it's rather conventional (not high-efficency -- only two of us.)

Reply to
Ted Lee

Strange. I can't find anything with Google that has hard numbers about how much power those motors take! The few owner's manuals with specs on various furnaces I could find only talk about the gas (BTU) usage, not the electrical. I did find one chart from a public utility somewhere with a graph comparing PSC vs. DC motors on furnaces/AC's, low speed/high speed that looked like running at low speed it was 30 watts, but I wouldn't say it was definitive.

Reply to
Ted Lee

I'm hoping his particular unit is "dual certified" at this point. If not, the combustion air would have to be piped in PVC directly to the unit. If it's dual certified, they just brought things up to code by adding the required air for combustion for several appliances.

Reply to
KJPRO

If it's piped correctly, it will likely be ok.

Reply to
KJPRO

Keep an eye on it. In certain cold weather conditions it will freeze shut and the furnace will shut down. When it is well below Zero that can really irritate you. It is common practice here to insulate that. I cannot find it in the international code, but it is in our local codes and you get just as cold there as we do. A bit of Armalite can preempt any problems. Output temperature depending on length of vent can be as in the vicinity of 120ºF which full of condensate can freeze easily.

Reply to
Don Ocean

I am not sure what you have there.. Most high efficiency furnaces have one PVC pipe for exhaust gases out of the house and the combustion chamber is usually enclosed(Airtight) with another PVC pipe bringing in combustion air. In a tight home it is also necessary to bring in outside fresh air for human consumption. Which is many times brought in through an air exchanger system that takes the heat out of stale air and transfers it to incoming fresh air. That fresh air is blended into the warm air coming from the furnace throughout the home. Yes, it is necessary to have a certain amount of combustion air for Gas water heaters and Gas dryers etc. Many newer homes also have demand water heaters that are vented much like the furnaces. Indoor air quality is written into the codes to prevent sick house syndrome.

Reply to
Don Ocean

go here...

Noon-Air

I just took a class from John Proctor. His organization does extensive testing on HVAC units. A variable speed ECM unit uses around 60-80 watts on low and around 300+ watts on high. This can dramatically vary depending on the static pressure in the HVAC unit. As the static goes up from the design the higher the electrical consumption of the motor.

A single speed split capacitor may be in the 600+ watts an das the static goes higher than the design the CFM and energy consumption go down (yes the watts go down, I=92ve seen this in a static class where gauges are installed for static and watts and then restrict the duct and sure enough the watts go down).

Sorry no number on a 2 speed system

Hope this helps

Think and do Home Performance

Andy

Reply to
Andy Energy

Thanks. Lots of good information, but I couldn't find anything about the low-speed ("idle", if you will) power consumption of the blower motors, which is what I was wondering about -- what does it cost to run one continuously? On the other hand, it is a huge file and perhaps there is something near the end that talks about it. The listings of the individual furnaces didn't.

Reply to
Ted Lee

Interesting. I found a Canadian study that gave 22 watts on low -- big difference between 22 and 80. I wonder which is closer to right? I'll agree it could vary from motor to motor, but a 4-1 range for a "typical" house doesn't make much sense.

Reply to
Ted Lee

We use metric watts in Canada.

Reply to