Running a 1/4 hp 220 VAC condenser fan motor on 110 VAC

Thanks Bubba that is why I get paid to travel up to 5 hours in one direction and getting paid $135.00 per hour from shop back to shop Dido

Thats sweet. Too bad they didnt tell you that they send you out on 5 hr drives each day to get you out of everyone else's hair. You drive a lot, I bet. By the way..............I wouldnt be bragging about $135. In reality, that aint shit. You have 5 hrs at $135 hr and a GOOD service tech running the residential circuit can drag that in in an hour. Bubba

I know my english is poor but you are dumb!!!!!! Whaooooo

Yeah, but Bubba is capable of learning. You are too figgin' brain dead to learn the obvious.

I am not!.........damit! Diddo sayz dat. :-) Bubba

Even when we understand what you're trying to say (albeit rarely), you still don't make any sense! You just don't have the knowledge it takes to be a good tech.
--
Respectfully, Bob

AKS wrote:

That's because they're hoping you'll keep on going!
--
Respectfully, Bob

I can't improve on your efforts. Continue, maestro!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Good explanations... and here's another:
In the motor world, torque (rotational force) is at least as important as speed.
A common formula is that torque changes as the square of voltage applied.
Let's take a look at this application...
A motor rated at 220 volts.. and has 120 applied. That's 54.5 percent of design voltage... so
.54 x .54 = 29.16
A motor wired like this will only produce 29.16 percent of its rated torque. A one horespower motor would deliver less than 1/3 hp.
Besides being extremely inefficient, as Dimwit described (heat instead of rotating force)... if the thing is moving any air at all it will be overloaded more than 200 percent.
And it will fail... quickly... and with a lot of heat.. maybe smoke... maybe fire. It's pure math.

In fact, it's a awful motor lubricant. WD-40 is also a degreaser which will frequently eat the insulation off motor windings, and quickly ruin seals.
Spray Away!!!
Jake

Good added explanation Jake! A fan load is an easy starting load for the motor, but as soon as (if) it gets up to any speed, it will be a big burden on an under nourished motor. I don't know how much HP or fractional HP HIS fan blade puts on a motor at xxxx RPM, but apparently Stu does.
My words re: WD40 were tongue in cheek, as most of know that WD40 is just as you described. I use WD40 to clean and unstick things.
Must be Stu's simple desire to show us all up that he can. Maybe he should call Guinness up
That's it for me on this topic, I hope.
Bob
Besides being extremely inefficient, as Dimwit described (heat instead of rotating force)... if the thing is moving any air at all it will be overloaded more than 200 percent.
Where does 200% come from?
What does "200% overloading" mean with respect to temperatre gain?
What will be the rotational speed and what will the back EMF (impedence) be as result from half voltage?

how fast will your car go up a big hill if you take out half the spark plugs? how big is the hill? You are also posting Jake's valid statements as my words.
why continue any further? do what you want.
I admit I am a fraud. I am a circus clown who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and thought I could spew some idiotic nonsense, but you win! you exposed me for what I am. Now go away and let me wallow in my misery. You can now rest easy and cool with your experiment.
Boo Hoo, fuck you

Hey, at least you got the cinnamon rolls!

So, just exactly what class are you taking and where are you taking it?? Do they know that your trying to get the folks on this NG to do your homework for you??
Noon-Air wrote:

You guys are something.
Ask a factual question and your ignore it.
Attack, attack, but no factual data, explanation, or experience. None!.
Is this the way that you live your life, in darkness and anger?
State a figure, 200% and the world is expecterd to accept it?
Where did you get it, out of your ass?
If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I could have farted.
Homework? You probably never did any.

If you wanted to listen to an asshole, you would not have far to go, methinks. very short distance
Stu pid posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie "There\'s no such thing as a tool I don\'t need."

I did enough homework to know the difference between a DC motor and an AC PSC motor. If what your trying to feed us would actually work, I would only have to carry ONE size/type motor on my truck instead of the 5 that I *DO* carry. After you let the factory smoke out of a few motors, then come back and we'll chat.

Great! That is not the point. Your motors are each used for a specific application.
You have not addressed the question, "can you use any one of your 5 220 AC motors at 110 VAC and will it start and run without burning up?
Take a fan from a pulled compresser and try it for a few hours.
The main difference between a dc and an ac motor that controls the current is the back EMF. I call it the 'bucking' voltage because it is just like using a transformer to reduce the applied voltage..
snipped-for-privacy@aaronj.com wrote:

"Technically speaking those fans are not guaranteed to even start at 115 VAC. Minimum operating is about 185 or so (I had problems downloading the PDFs so I couldn't get the exact specs and am going by general AC fan characteristics). If they run it's okay but you should be aware that some time they might not (age, lubrication, dirt, etc. not to mention that 115 is nominal and can be even lower) and then you've got a locked rotor situation where the current will shoot up (no back EMF from rotation). They've probably got locked rotor current protection though so they shouldn't do something drastic like catch fire."
Perhaps this is your implied caution?