Running a 1/4 hp 220 VAC condenser fan motor on 110 VAC

Look, Dido.... a quick inspection of NEMA and IEC specs say that most motors are 'designed' for +/- 10 percent... that's all.

Anything more or less and the motor is running so out of sync with the line that it builds heat rapidly. AC and motor theory are as clear as they can be...

Heat kills motors... maybe not immediately but in short order.

Shaded pole motors are crap.. and if they're in anything you depend on you ought to throw them away and use real motors. They're great in wall clocks, though....

The back-emf argument is also bullshit. Back EMF is 'out-of-phase' and counteracts the inputted energy. It hurts you.. not helps.

As with all things in the genre... energy IN equals energy OUT less losses. If you put less energy IN... things don't work as designed.

Anything may work for a while... but not all that long. Science catches up sooner or later.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

therin lies the huge problem Jake.

From all this "stuff" I've been reading lately, the russians are so much further ahead of Western technology for one simple reason: They are not locked into the dogma of Western taught thermodyamicis and electromagnetism.

research US Patent # 6,362,718 granted on March 26, 2002

now you may not believe a ufo crash landed in roswell nm, nor believe there is an area 51 or any of that other secret bs, but if you do, explain how a nuclear reactor on these ufo's can use element 115 to generate the electromagnetic currents they do, WITHOUT ANY FORM OF COOLING. There goes the laws of Western taught thermodynamics...

when we remain of the mindset that energy in=energy out minus loss, we will never strive to achieve what other countries and civilizations have already achieved.

Reply to
gofish

giggle ! who even reads these f****ng morons? Oh I may read 1 or 2 of their first posts, after that why bother? I'm going to learn from the tech's and pro's who populate the ng, and most of the rest are worse than a waste of time.

on the other hand, if I had a money making website in my tagline something like click here to feed a homeless pussy, well yeah, I might wanna post a helluva lot more....know what I mean? lol

Reply to
gofish

Bubba wrote

It still won't make any sense...trust me!

Respectfully, Bob

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

AKS,

AFAIK Every run start cap motors used for fans in condensers use overload breakers to avoid locked rotor overheating. This is required because foreign objects like twigs, rats, snakes, etc. can get into the box and stop the fan blades.

If a 220 VAC motor will turn with 110 VAC applied, it should be safe from overheating.

This has been done many, many times.

Some technicians do not understand the safety built into the motors.

As an additional safety, a second lower Amp fuse may be added.

Reply to
stu

Crimmany sakes! I knew you were dumber than a box of rocks. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Yes, about as dumb as the people who design and make the motors; Reliance!

I guess that you can't trust their words either.

"At the same time torque is being produced, the conductors are moving in a magnetic field and generating a voltage. This voltage is in opposition to the voltage that causes current flow through the conductor and is referred to as a countervoltage or back EMF. The value

of current flowing through the armature is dependent upon the DIFFERENCE between the applied voltage and the countervoltage."

The countervoltage or back EMF is opposite the applied voltage and it therefore

"bucks" or reduces it. For example: If the applied voltage is 220 VAC and the back

EMF is 70 VAC, the motor appear to see only 150 VAC.

The result is the equivalent of increasing the total impedence and thus

reduces the current that

would flow if there was no EMF.

This is why an AC motor must spin to avoid overheating.

An automatic thermal overload protector is usually built into HVAC fan motors.

Or, if you desire, you can always add a correctly chosen fuse to protect your AC motor.

Bubba,

If you had another brain it would be lonesome.

Reply to
stu

Jake: read my post again I will not dwell with you on pro or cans I posted what I work with the only thing I forgot to include that these is only on single phase motors and dimmers that can be use is only those that use triacs for output instead of SCRs Dido

Reply to
AKS

Thanks Bubba that is why I get paid to travel up to 5 hours in one direction and getting paid $135.00 per hour from shop back to shop Dido

Reply to
AKS

Bob: Sir you are big joke Dido

Reply to
AKS

Dildo, please post again tomorrow when you are sober.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Oscar get some experience and you bud! then talk

Reply to
AKS

Ask A Scientist=A9 Physics Archive

Question - I am confused about the concept of 'back emf'. Have you got a clear, concise and logical explanation of just what it is?

------------------------------------------------ Hi, Ben !!

Well, as you probably already heard before, the back-emf is the same as counter emf (cemf). It is a voltage produced in a conductor that tends to neutralize the present voltage. It is a phenomenon that always tends towards the contrary of what happens!! Let=B4s suppose: if lines of a magnetic field are cut by a conductor, than a voltage is generated in this conductor, which causes a current of electrons to flow in one direction. At the same time, like trying to avoid this, ANOTHER voltage is created that tends to neutralize this effect, and it forces the electrons to flow in the contrary direction. As you know, the back-emf is directly pro- portional to the velocity of the magnetic field. It is proportional to the relative motion between them.

I am sure that you know all of this. But, to give you an example, think of a wire with a switch. Suppose the electrons are running from a direction into another and suddenly, you open the switch. What happens?? Well, when electrons run, they give rise to a magnetic field. When you open the switch, the electrons should stop their flow. But - as a kind of inertial action - they try to continue the flow, and ionize the air, in an electric arc to find its way. Or let it be, the originally initial magnetic field, in a circumference around the wire, changes its sense, and try to avoid stopping the original flow. It is possible to see this in an oscilloscope, as a negative peak in certain experiences where you make use of a coil and

- abruptely - stops the electron flow.

I know you know all of this. But, that is it!!! It is the way things are. Just try to answer this question: what is electrical charge? Why is that we have positive and negative charges?? Answer : nobody knows it!!! We must accept this condition!!! It belongs to the laws of the universe, since the big bang created it like as it is.

Just to speak a little bit more about this subject, you know that when an electrical induction "squirrel" motor runs, you have a magnetic field that circulates around the squirrel. There is a speed difference between them, what in turn generates a voltage and a force appears, which drives the "squirrel". A back-emf also appears, which lowers the net electric electron flow. The current through a rotating electric motor is greatly reduced because of this back-emf and if you avoid the moviment of the rotor, the current should be so large that could damage the equipment.

Which prooves the point that BOTH dc armature and ac rotor motors have back EMF!

Reply to
stu

My sister is the Special Ed teacher-- sorry I do not have the experience needed to communicate with the Mentally Retarded or the Emotionally Disturbed.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Totally incorrect!

Back EMP reduces the voltage and hence the current.

Without back EMF (stalled motor), the lack of back EMF to "buck" that applied votage will cause the current to be E/R which is much, much, higher than when rotating.

How does back EMF hurt by reducing the CURRENT?

You have the EMF 'bucking' concept right but your thinking is out of phase 180*.

Reply to
stu

and argueing with you would be like fighting a sword fight and YOU with no sword. Honestly, Your ramblings are worse than stormy and Todd all rolled together. Climb back up the skylight and shut it on your way out. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

So you don't have to look for other female that is nice to know

Reply to
AKS

Thats sweet. Too bad they didnt tell you that they send you out on 5 hr drives each day to get you out of everyone else's hair. You drive a lot, I bet. By the way..............I wouldnt be bragging about $135. In reality, that aint shit. You have 5 hrs at $135 hr and a GOOD service tech running the residential circuit can drag that in in an hour. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I know my english is poor but you are dumb!!!!!! Whaooooo

Reply to
AKS

What the f*ck are you trying to say here? I honestly cannot understand your drunken spewage.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives