Roof kit

Now that I'm doing filter changes, I've had a couple "need one tool that is in the van" moments. I'm making a small tool bag with shoulder strap, that should go to the roof with me, even if all I'm doing is changing filters.

What to put in the bag? At the moment, I've got the following list: (pocket tools) Cell phone Leatherman Utility knife Thermostat Screwdriver Cheap IR thermometer

(roof bag)

10-way screw driver and nut driver Crescent Wrench Socket set with only common sizes 50 feet parachute cord Electrical tape Duct tape Coat hanger Cheap VOM

The goal of the roof bag is to be light weight, and just the essential tools that get used all the time. Ideally, I'll always have a helper, and can rope up any other tools.

What other tools are essential, and often used?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Damn dood, you should *KNOW* what you need to take up there with you....

Reply to
Steve

Why so harsh on the boy ? He's only been charging people to do this shit for ten years .....

GFHC - duct tape and a coat hanger. OMG.

Stormy, the one thing you need to take with you is someone who knows what the f*ck they're doing.

Which leaves you sitting in the truck.

Reply to
.p.jm.

You should have figured it out after the first one or two.

Reply to
Steve

If all youre going to do is change the air filters and nothing else, then im wondering why you need some of the things on your list like : IR Thermometer, VOM, cord, etc.. ?

Reply to
ilbebauck

In case he runs into an actual HVAC tech up there, he can ask the guy what they are. Maybe learn something. It's part of his continuing education program.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Stormy has been in the longest helper apprentice program I have every heard of...

Reply to
Steve

The very best one money can buy that has no teachers, no books, no tests and no time limit.

Reply to
.p.jm.

If he knew what he was doing, he could have found the problem with a VOM in just a couple of minutes. Maybe he should get an electrician to check his shorts.

Reply to
Steve

You mean 'the challenges of pretending to be in a line of work you know nothing about, having never apprenticed or studied or trained in any way'. Thus, after the first ten years, you are starting to take some (wrong) guesses about how to change filters in an air conditioning unit.

Ten years, and you 'met another tech one time". Geez.

Reply to
.p.jm.

I was at a deposition last year concerning a couple of HVAC techs who tried to cheat my friends elderly mother out of $5,000.00. The had sabotaged the condensing unit burning up the compressor in the process. I don't think Stormy would do anything like that even by accident. A lot of actual HVAC techs are actual real crooks who actually disgust me.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The problem is when you have few rotting apples general public all of us same that type scum should be punished to fullest extent of law and let public know that everybody is not same!!

Reply to
Grumpy

What? Why the Hell would anyone do that?. There is more then enough work without doing criminal activity.

The had

I never doubted your veracity before.. I do now. That is a sea story.

Maybe a few..Not a lot! They are far and few between. Most work damned hard and slander like this is uncalled for. Even the Union lads are better then that.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

A lot, not all, perhaps it's the fact that the few crooks disturb me so. The other group that really disturbs me is the RITG, Raving Incompetent Technicians Group. You know the ones, they leave the dust caps off of service valves, leave wire nuts open end up so any water collects in them to corrode the wire connection or they don't use a connector at all. Don't install a safety disconnect next to the condenser which they didn't bother to level. Don't even expect to find an auxiliary power outlet. Cable ties? We don't need no stinking cable ties! Hell, ya don't need all them screws to hold them covers on with. There are so many more that make me mad but I don't feel well and I'm tired so I don't feel like getting stirred up. GRRRRRRR! ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Lack of training by the HVAC company. Not many that fail there anymore.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

if you fart in a walk-in freeze box, the "hang time" lasts for HOURS. :-)

Reply to
Steve

Wow . A whole 1/2 HP compressor in ten years. And you claim to be in the HVAC service industry.

Reply to
.p.jm.