Rheem switching to heat in Auto A/C mode

My A/C ( Rheem RPKA-049JAZ) will start blowing hot air while in the auto cool setting...I turn off all the power to the unit and wait 30-60 minutes...when I turn it back on, it will work for a couple of hours to several days before doing this again...I have a few ideas of what may be wrong and would like someones opinion...

Is it possible for the unit to "think" it needs to defrost while in the "auto cool" mode or is defrost only available during "heat"? Is it possible to bypass this alltogether? I live on the coast in Mississippi. In the eight years I have lived here, I have used the heater twice and really don't care if the heater worked. I just need the A/C.

Is it possible that it could have intermittent 24vlt loss to the defrost board/contactor, because cutting all power to the unit for 30 or so minutes will allow it to start working properly again?

I placed the thermostat into a call for heat and checked the defrost board test pins and it went into and back out of defrost...

Any Ideas?

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 28884 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
wldfowlr

Its either a bad control, a short in the control wire, or a bad defrost board. Best you call your local tech to find and correct the problem. While your at it, have the tech clean and service the system. Go to

and type in your zip code for a qualified tech in your area.

Reply to
Steve

Hot air has needs, too, you know ....

Call a repair company.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Steve...thanks for the intelligent and civil reply....

Paul, or whatever your name may be, why the hell do people like you even take the damn time to respond...I never thought of calling a repair company...Thanks for your help...

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 28887 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
wldfowlr

Why don't you suck my dick, newbie ?

Reply to
.p.jm.

I think you should learn how to post to usenet, instead of using the Sucko company web board.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thats funny coming from a top posting dimbo.

Reply to
The King