Rheem RPNE 036ja2 not starting again

The subject heat pump stopped working last fall in the heating mode. On a call for heat it just sits there. I had a tech come out he replaced a control board. Parts are under warranty labor is not. He said the soild state timer that keeps the unit from cycling on and off too fast was locked up. It cost about $300.00 for the service call. The unit has the same symptom again, I would like to know if anyone else has run into this recurring issue before I call for service again. Thanks

Dave

Reply to
dstrakele

Id be more concerned about seeing why your tech is just changing parts and guessing. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

What is the serial number and what defrost board does it have in it. There have been a couple of issues with one of the boards. The board old board number is 47-21517-22 The new number is 47-21517-92 Is the tech an actual Rheem Top Contractor dealer?? or is it "Billy Joe Jim Bob" with the lowest price?? Yes it makes a difference. BTW, if the service call only cost $300, you got a hell of a deal. I would have been $400. Even with the correct board, it sounds like you got other issues and problems with the system. You need to call somebody that knows what they are doing.

Reply to
Steve

Bubba, I'm thinking the stat needs replacement... Home Depots has the setback stats that save over 30% on energy...

geothermaljones

Reply to
geothermaljones

Well......yes, if he can get Stormy to replace the stat then , YES, its the stat. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

The board is a 4721517-22

There are 2 leds # 1 is flashing # 2 is off- indicates a high PS lock- out. Says to short the test pins to reset.

The company I called was the outfit that repaired the system after a garage fire we had. Insurance hired them. They are a reputable company in our area but NOT a Rheem dealer. I thought it might have been something wrong with the installation.

Anyway, I will try the Rheem outfit I purchased the unit from, I appreciate the input. At least I know there is a new board available.

Reply to
dstrakele

The board is a 4721517-22

There are 2 leds # 1 is flashing # 2 is off- indicates a high PS lock- out. Says to short the test pins to reset.

The company I called was the outfit that repaired the system after a garage fire we had. Insurance hired them. They are a reputable company in our area but NOT a Rheem dealer. I thought it might have been something wrong with the installation.

Anyway, I will try the Rheem outfit I purchased the unit from, I appreciate the input. At least I know there is a new board available.

dude, you have other issues than the board. HPS lockout doesn't happen for no reason. The refrigerant charge is probably not balanced correctly either.

Reply to
Steve

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:08:56 -0800 (PST), dstrakele left spaces for comments ):

Why do you want to replace the board when the problem appears to be a high pressure trip.

Reply to
The King

Kind of like: "Hey, my furnace doesnt work so I replaced the thermostat. Now it still doesnt work. Should I replace the thermostat with a better programmable type?" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba