Replacing my existing system

My existing 21-yr old system is on its last leg. I am told ther may be a leak in the accumulator.
If it is replaced, the new system will be a high-efficiency R-410 system. My house has approximately 1500 sg ft of space to be cooled and the duct work is in the ceiling.
I have been told: - there is a substantial price increase between Seer-15 and Seer-16; - The quality of a Goodman is not significantly less than a Carrier or a Trane; and - 2 tons is undersized, 3 tons is oversized, and 2.5 tons is just right.
All these statements accurate?
Also my house is brick, built into the side of a hill, and is west of Ball-i-mer (Baltimore - the City that Slurs). We have oil heat and the A/C is only used from late May through early September - plus my wife is a tirant about heating only to 68F and cooling only to 80F.
Dick

May have a leak???

What does one consider to be substantial? Extra cost per year is minimal.

True, *if* sized, installed and set-up properly.

Load calculation???

Could be, don't know without doing some figuring.

Won't take much to cool to 80.
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:37:30 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

You mean they cant use bubbles or an electronic leak detector on the accumulator and tell you it positively does or does not have a leak? Id send the lazy ass packing.

Thats nice

Define substantial Get an estimate on the two and see for yourself

a box is a box is a box

How the fuck should we know. Get someone that will quote you a price AND DO A LOAD CALCULATION. Send the rest packing.

I think the word you are looking for is "Bitch" not tirant. Bubba

It's had a good life, let it go.

These days, any new system should be 410.

There is a price difference as SEER ratings go up, (coil sizes compressor stages/qty, etc...) I've done a few cost of operation analysis of 10 & 12 seer A/C units in the past & never showed more than a $20.00 savings per year between the two. (Based on $.08 Electric & MN design temps 89db/73wb & roughly 600 cooling hours ) If you want bang for your buck, spend the money on a Heat Pump instead of A/C this will save a huge amount over heating with Fuel Oil. Again, a cost analysis of system of 2-1/2 tons $.08 Electric & $1.20/per therm Natural Gas shows (MN design 89/73 & -20) shows a 14 Seer HP on a Variable speed 2 stage 93% will save about $250.00/yr over a 14 Seer A/C on same furnace. Fuel oil is much more expensive so the cost saving will be even greater. Higher SEER is great if your primarily cooling, Higher HSPF is needed for primarily heating.

There is a quality difference, but the installer is a vital influence. Goodman will (and does) sell to any hack with a tool belt & a rusty truck, Trane has stricter dealer requirements. Again, the quality of the install... Good eqpt poorly installed can & is worse than properly installed "junior varsity" gear.

Sounds about right, but you should have a decent load calculation done by your contractor/bidder. If they won't give you one don't buy anything.

I was told the word "gullible" wasn't in the dictionary, so I looked it up to show them!

LOAD CALCS & A HEAT PUMP!!!
of course I could be wrong, as some may attest
good luck geothermaljones st.paul,mn

It's "gullable" ovbiously you had mis-spelled it suggest try again...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gullable http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gullible

up

Sorry not going there....
<G>
over a barrel wrote:

Dumb isn't in that dictionary either. ;-p