Replacing Heating and Air - Amana Units

Got a quote from a contractor to replace my central air and heating. Wondering what you guys think. I am in the Southern California/Los Angeles Area, single story, 2000 sf home. They are proposing to use Amana 14 SEER Prestige RCE60C2C and AMS81155CNA 80% Gas Furnace. Are these good units?
The quote was $9500. Work includes:
- removal of existing furnace in closet and package unit on roof - remove and replace all existing ductwork (half of attic is very shallow with limited access, about 2-3 feet tall, the other half is about 6 feet) - install new furnace in attic
Is this a reasonable price?
I know nothing about HVAC, but reading through the specs for the RCE60C2C, there seems to be no performance rating (SEER) for the combination of the RCE60C2C and the AMS81155CNA. Will this still provide 14 SEER?
Just went through this with my brother-in-law from Pasadena and I am in Western PA....ONE hell of a price difference from East to West. But for as mush as the A/C runs, I personally would be looking into a higher SEER A/C system. And I finally realized, it does not get really cold there....so the heating furnace can be an 80% unit SEER ratings can go as high a 18 now...some maybe higher. But they cost more, but the savings in rewarding in the end

daytona wrote:

The Los Angeles, CA area Summer Design is 89F-dry bulb, 70F-wet bulb, 39% RH rather dry, therefore a light latent load. How much run-time do you have in the LA area; 600 to 700 hours a year? Low run-time, Low savings to initial SEER costs! A 13 or 14-SEER system ought to be a good choice depending on electric rates. Do everything you can to reduce the heat-gain heat-loss, then do a Manual J for the load & D for the ductwork! Do NOT oversize the system! - udarrell
--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
On 29 Nov 2006 00:26:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--
Make like a drum and beat it!

What corners are they cutting to be able to do it so cheap?? For that price, there is no way they are using tin ductwork, and why on earth are they putting the furnace in the attic instead of the closet where it was?? I would look for some more bids from companies that are going to do it right, not just cheap.

What corners is the contractor cutting for such a low price?
Normally work like you are listing would cost at least twice as much.
I smell a lowball hack and/or possibly stolen/used equipment.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

did the contractor do a load calc? did the contractor include building permits? did you get 3-4 other competing bids?
As for checking and determining component matchups and their efficiency ratings, look up the info yourself at ARI's website: http://www.aridirectory.org/ari/ac.php
SoCal Edison and other utilities are offering factory rebates up to $1000 on selected models. Must be listed on ARI's website to qualify.
personally I think amana sucks hind tit. their commercial package units suck beyond all belief, designed by idiots.
If you're going to relocate the furnace to the attic, make damn sure they pull building permits.
last but not least, study up on the new Title 24 Energy codes that went into effect Oct 2005, such as duct insulation is now R-8, not R-4.2. http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/2005standards/residential_manual.html
Lets back up a couple steps. Who says you need a new furnace and AC? What's wrong with the existing equipment? Who says you need all new duct work?
Darrell and Fish are correct. That you need a heat load calculation. And Darrell is also correct that you need at least two other companies to have a look.
It's very likely someone out there sees you as a massive gold mine, and is willing and eager to sell you the whole store.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.