replacing blower motor

Question: My 1/3 HP blower motor has died. My question is - should I replace it with a 1/2 HP motor?
I had my attic turned into a 'loft bedroom'...I wondering if this will 'push' more air to the 2nd story. The air path is down into a crawl and then up. Or, is the volume of air 'pushed' a function of the RPMs, and am I simply making the unit more inefficient (5 amps to 9 amps)?
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:38:28 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

All residential furnaces were designed to handle a 1 hp motor but the manufacturers use a smaller 1/3 hp to save money. Spend a few extra dollars and get a 1 hp motor. You should be able to push air easily to the second floor because we all know that bigger is better. It has nothing to do with static pressure. Thats just a myth. Bubba

What did your local, competent, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician tell you??...or are you just trying to redesign, remove the UL listing and ARI efficiency listing on your heating and cooling system real cheap??
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why did it die?
--
Zyp

Not really. I probably won't fit in the housing designed for the 1/3 HP motor. Even if it did, It' be concerned with undersizing of other electrical components.