Repair it or replace it

Hi all,
I have a 35 year old heat pump out here in California. It stopped working the other day and I had an hvac company come look at it. They said that the outside fan motor failed and that because the system was 35 years old I should replace my entire system rather than fix the motor. Given that the motor will be a whole lot less than replacing the whole thing I fail to see the "replace it" logic. Why should I not replace the motor and let it go another 35 years? Thanks for all of your help. J. Gilmore
John H. Gilmore wrote in

You cheap bastard
<John H. Gilmore> wrote in message

Do you actually think you'll get another 35 years out of it?
Not to mention that the money spent on the motor replacement could go towards a new unit that will cost less to operate!
I have to ask, what kind of car were you driving 35 yrs ago, & how many others have you had since? Did you spend any $$ to keep them going as long? (Girlfriends, Wives, etc... California right?)
Some of the most durable heat pumps built came from back in that era & it's probably worth it's weight in scrap... and it's got a lot of heft.
Yeah, a new fan might fix the thing for another year or so, but I really doubt you'll get another 35... If you wanna "spit & bailing" wire a fix & see how long it last, I'd suggest Grainger for a replacement, but give this warhorse it's due. It's time to put it down & look anew.
butwhatdoiknow?
goodluck geothermaljones st.paul,mn.
<John H. Gilmore> wrote in message

you need to decide that apx. 500.00 vs 5000.00 tony <John H. Gilmore> wrote in message

Only $5,000?? are you working for free?? I just quoted a 4 ton 14 SEER with 80+ furnace for $10,000

He's going to install a left over 10 SEER unit and leave the 35 yr old furnace, till the blower in it quits. :-)

Your right, he only needed 47,300btu total cooling.
If that's true [47,300] then he's out of luck. Because under the 'best conditions' an AMANA ASC13 will only product 45,500 btu/h... ;)
And, as the outdoor temperature rises, then it'll even be less!
--
Zyp

"Noon-Air" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
Fortunately the Rheem RANL-048JAZ condenser, RCFL-HM4821AC evap, with RGPR-10EBRMR furnace is ARI rated for 48,500btu

John;
35 years ago versus today's equipment mean dollars saved on the electric bill.
Scrap the older unit, replace the condenser, coil, and furnace. You might qualify for tax credits on your federal return if you jump to say 16 SEER. [Check with your tax professional.] You will save 40% on your energy bill, and have a good running system for a very long time.
BTW: If the condenser fan motor went south, how long did you run the air conditioning without it? If you ran it for any amount, chances are you've shortened what ever life was left on the compressor. After you replace the fan motor, the compressor is likely to fail soon after.
--
Zyp
<John H. Gilmore> wrote in message
<John H. Gilmore> wrote in message

How long you expect to be living there ?

Another 35 years. :-)

Hehe..
troll!!!
John H. Gilmore wrote:

Theyesaid that the outside fan motor failed and that because the system was<35 years old I should replace my entire system rather than fix the2motor. Given that the motor will be a whole lot less than replacing0the whole thing I fail to see the "replace it" logic. Why should I not replace the motor and let it go another 35 years? Thanks for all ofryour help. J. Gilmore
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 06:47:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@-insightbb.com (The Freon Cowboy) wrote:

Ding DIng Ding!!!! Give the man the prize Mabel!