Refrigerator not working again

John, sounds fun for sure. And I have three phase handy at my garage.

This is a 120v compressor though, what would happen due to voltage being twice over what it needs?

Ignoramus30441

It will work. Or it won't. And not for sure for how long.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It will either kill it or break the rotor free but it's toast anyway, you will just turn it into burnt toast. :) Don't leave the power on for more than a couple of seconds until it breaks loose and starts running, then turn it off. The windings can take the 220 for a short while until they overheat.

John

Reply to
john

I wasn't working on any of the missile systems, I was working for a contractor building facilities. The only electronic systems I worked on were the office phone system, the two way radios, any control problems, access control, Halon fire suppression system, of course, any of the guys having a problem with a TV, VCR or tape player asked for my help. I had to rebuild the voltage regulator for the 20kw gen set on our crew boat. I took it to the TV repair shop there on the island and found an FET from a TV that worked in the regulator and had the generator back up and running. The gen set ran a compressor for the air starters on the twin 12 cylinder supercharged Detroit Diesel engines. The smart ass captain liked to start those monsters when I was down in the engine room checking things out. I kept ear plugs handy, especially whenever I had to go to any of the power plants. I loved it out there and would have stayed if I hadn't been transferred to a 20 man housing unit that had 19 smokers living in it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It showed up again in the tv show MASH, where a general was trying to distract Blake long enough to make time with Hot Lips.

Framistat plan, was to make motor oil last 6,000 miles and then make it edible.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And shows the mechanic's ignorance. They only come in Metric, English, and very expensive in Whitworth.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've done that. I call it the "volt jolt".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Last couple compressors I changed, ran $300 to $400.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's like sharing a four bay room in Army barracks with three slobs. :(

Luckily, most of my time after basic I had a one man room. It only took 15 minutes a week to keep it clean enough to pass all inspections. It was funny, at Ft. Rucker. I was an E2, but in a slot for an E5, so I managed to get the key for the assigned one man room. It was a real mess, and took about two weeks to clean all the old floor wax off the floor, baseboards and even the walls. A month later we were visited by a bunch of generals from Washington. One asked my captain who's room they were in, then said it was the cleanest he'd seen on the whole trip. When he found out it belonged to an E2 he got mad, then laughed and said, Anyone who spends enough time to keep his quarters that neat could keep the room. I barely spent 15 minutes a week. Luckily, he didn't see the coil of coax hanging outside my window. I worked in the Weathervision system, which included 17 Cable TV systems. The man that maintained the civilian cable TV on base gave me permission to run a drop to my room in the barracks when he caught me repairing the damaged drop to our dayroom. He figured that if I had cable, I would keep the two paid drops working for him. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The majority of HVAC techs have no idea how to do board level repairs. I find cold solder joints all the time and am able to get a system up and running without having to replace an expensive circuit board. The catch is, how much time will it take to repair a one hundred dollar circuit board vs $85.00 per hour.

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I put an oscillator inside a hollowed out D-cell to show smart asses who asked me for an AC battery. When I showed up with my AC battery I would get this "we're just kidding, there's no such thing." Then I hooked it to a scope and said "SEE?". I swiped the idea from I don't remember who. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Causing many heads to look like the watermelons at a Gallagher show, I assume :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

A friend of mine studied electrical engineering at Auburn back in the

1960's and lived in a dorm with a bunch of other typical college boys of the era, no coed in ancient times. The big thing at the time was the big AM station in the state playing pop music all day. When my friend wanted to sleep or study, he would switch on his low power AM transmitter he had hooked to the dorm's rain gutters and silence all the radios in the dorm. When he grew up, he wound up being in charge of the communications division of a major utility company.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Turn about is fair play but outsmarting smart-asses causes them to hate you and they waste countless hours trying to get back at you. I love pranks but draw the line at anything destructive or something that could possibly cause someone harm, like the old gasoline in the fire extinguisher gag. When I worked in a repair depot so many years ago, our individual work benches had a master switch to kill the power to the various magnifier lamps, test gear and soldering stations. One of my coworkers was a REAL gun nut. He had guns everywhere. He had at least two on him at any time so I couldn't resist. I painted his soldering iron with liquid flux then coated it with gun powder. He came into work that day in a foul mood growling at everything in sight, slammed down what he was carrying on his work bench, flipped on the power switch and we all cringed expecting him to go berserk and shoot everyone in sight. After 10 seconds a big flash and puff of smoke came from his soldering iron, he jumped up and screamed like a woman in a monster movie then started giggling. After that he was OK and in a good mood the rest of the day. See, pranks can be therapeutic! 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I used to stuff components for a wave solder. The guy who tended the machine used to say "go with the flow, bro" which we thought was funny.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can't help it if you don't charge enough.

Reply to
Steve

When I was in college, one professor used to smoke cigarettes while he taught. Which was painful to me, as I'm allergic. He'd look in the trash can, and find something for an ash tray. Piece of paper, or soda can. I got the brilliant idea to put some flash powder in a dry pop can, and leave in the trash can. He'd put still-lit cigarettes into the pop can. I got the idea, but never did try it. I really should have.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of gasoline in the fire extinguisher.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's the alt havoc advice I know and love.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some of us do, but its not cost effective to do so.

No, control boards are not free, and yes, some of us *DO* know what wave soldering is.

Reply to
Steve

That would make you the exception. Lack of knowledge in one area doesn't make one stupid or ineffective in their chosen field. Ignorance means you don't know but you can learn, stupid means no way. I'm ignorant about a lot of things so I use what my mother taught me, "If it smells bad, don't eat it." I apply this to everything in my life. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas