Refrigerator not working again

Page 4 of 16

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 13:51:38 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Nice IKYABWAI, PeeWee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
P5eQiKNQs
Mike Hocksbigg wrote:

Sadly, PeeWee Herman is more of a man than you'll ever be. It must be all that freon you've huffed.
enough left over to pay them.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:45:37 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Re-read above ^, PeeWee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
P5eQiKNQs

Oh yeah? Well, my daddy's bigger than your daddy.
Steve wrote:

Sigh. I was a Broadcast engineer at three TV stations and a bunch of AM radio stations. All of which would fire you on the spot if you were inept, or an asshole.
I ran a repair depot for a large MSO CATV operator, where we did millions of dollars worth of repairs for the various systems we owned.
I also worked in manufacturing and engineering for a company that provided Telemetry systems for NASA, NOAA and the European Space Agency. They never told us how to do our job. They just asked for a price and wrote a check. Some of our equipment was still in use over 30 years after delivery and had never been serviced. It was being used to track some of NASA's deep space probes that were launched in the early '70s.
My work is aboard the International Space Station, while yours is rusting in moldy basements, and your industry has a reputation worse that TV repairmen used to.
enough left over to pay them.

Hey Mike, I worked out at The Kwajalein Missile Range back in 87 and 88, there was a lot of telemetry going on there, did you happen to be working in the telemetry field at the time? It's now The Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site, I think I know why it was renamed. There was some pretty cool stuff going on there back in the late 80's and I'll bet there is some even cooler stuff going on there now. And speaking of cool, there was a good sized sat dish with a cryo cooled LNA or LNB right near my living quarters. I loved it out in the islands.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

No, I was in that field in the late '90s and early '00s, until my health failed. Did you use any equipment from Microdyne? They were still supplying parts & upgrades for the 1100 series they built during that era. The 1200 series was still in production, along with the 700/1620 series, and the 1400 series. I worked on the launch of their RCB2000/DR2000 series to move it from prototype to production ready.
enough left over to pay them.

I wasn't working on any of the missile systems, I was working for a contractor building facilities. The only electronic systems I worked on were the office phone system, the two way radios, any control problems, access control, Halon fire suppression system, of course, any of the guys having a problem with a TV, VCR or tape player asked for my help. I had to rebuild the voltage regulator for the 20kw gen set on our crew boat. I took it to the TV repair shop there on the island and found an FET from a TV that worked in the regulator and had the generator back up and running. The gen set ran a compressor for the air starters on the twin 12 cylinder supercharged Detroit Diesel engines. The smart ass captain liked to start those monsters when I was down in the engine room checking things out. I kept ear plugs handy, especially whenever I had to go to any of the power plants. I loved it out there and would have stayed if I hadn't been transferred to a 20 man housing unit that had 19 smokers living in it.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

That's like sharing a four bay room in Army barracks with three slobs. :(
Luckily, most of my time after basic I had a one man room. It only took 15 minutes a week to keep it clean enough to pass all inspections. It was funny, at Ft. Rucker. I was an E2, but in a slot for an E5, so I managed to get the key for the assigned one man room. It was a real mess, and took about two weeks to clean all the old floor wax off the floor, baseboards and even the walls. A month later we were visited by a bunch of generals from Washington. One asked my captain who's room they were in, then said it was the cleanest he'd seen on the whole trip. When he found out it belonged to an E2 he got mad, then laughed and said, Anyone who spends enough time to keep his quarters that neat could keep the room. I barely spent 15 minutes a week. Luckily, he didn't see the coil of coax hanging outside my window. I worked in the Weathervision system, which included 17 Cable TV systems. The man that maintained the civilian cable TV on base gave me permission to run a drop to my room in the barracks when he caught me repairing the damaged drop to our dayroom. He figured that if I had cable, I would keep the two paid drops working for him. :)
enough left over to pay them.

A friend of mine studied electrical engineering at Auburn back in the 1960's and lived in a dorm with a bunch of other typical college boys of the era, no coed in ancient times. The big thing at the time was the big AM station in the state playing pop music all day. When my friend wanted to sleep or study, he would switch on his low power AM transmitter he had hooked to the dorm's rain gutters and silence all the radios in the dorm. When he grew up, he wound up being in charge of the communications division of a major utility company.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Later, I worked at a military TV station, before leaving the service. Years later I was an engineer at a UHF TV station with a 5 MW EIRP signal on a 1749 foot tower near the east coast of Central Florida.
enough left over to pay them.

If you could get close enough to the antenna, you could cook hot dogs, in about a tenth of a second. I've tried to explain to a lot of folks that an AM station tower IS the antenna and it sits on insulators. I remember a couple of idiots climbing the TV towers around here. RF is so much fun to play with. 8-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

One of the tower crew found the hairline crack in our waveguide the hard way. He leaned back against it and had a 12 inch long RF burn across his ass and lower back. There was about 190 KW of UHF RF (Ch 55) flowing inside that brass duct. It only took a few seconds before he felt it.
enough left over to pay them.

I am not a rocket surgen, but my company has been working for excellence for many years. I am *not* "billy-joe-jim-bob". Yes there are a lot of hacks out there, but there are some true professionals out there too. I keep trying to help change the rep that HVAC industry has, and raise the bar in my area. FWIW, my company has all but stopped advertising in the yellow pages, it doesn't need to. 90% of our new customers are all from word of mouth referals.
Steve wrote:

After I left the US Army, I started an Industrial Electronics repair business. I never had a sign on the business, or even a listed telephone number. I also did all the electronic repair for three school systems. The only time they asked for a price up front was when they needed new equipment. The rest of the time, the principals called me, and at the end of the month I billed the school systems. When I started, some customers had piles of 'unreparible' equipment that took six months to two years to get back from their previous contractor. I fixed all of it.
Someone really needs to clean up that industry, and I wish you luck. A lot of companies around here were hiring anyone with a valid driver's license. They don't care about their reputation, or their customers. Some operate under five or more business names, so when they screw a customer, they end up calling the same people.
enough left over to pay them.

It is fortunate for the HVAC industry that the general public does not read the alt.hvac newsgroup. The regulars there seem to know more about their reproductive organs and lower digestive tract than anything about HVAC. I remember a reply from a homeowner asking a question and the slew of BS that came back was amazing. One memorable reply came from a regular poster (pjm) that said this was group for "professionals only" and homemoaners (sic) were not welcome here. Well my sampling of "professionals" on that group does not speak well of their competence and people skills. They do not seem to realize that basic refrigeration and heating is quite simple. The complexity comes from the newer electronic controls and they know nothing about that other than swap things until it works. A case in point was a neighbor that called a professional because the blower motor in the furnace had stopped working. The "pro" said the motor controller was bad, the board was no longer available, so both the motor and controller needed replacing for $800. The neighbor is a bit of a handyman so I asked him to bring the control board to my house and I would look it over. One look and it was obvious that there was a bad solder joint on the line input common mode choke coil and a bit of solder restored it completely. I will bet not one in a hundred of these "pros" even know what a common mode choke is.
David
David
David wrote:

Or that broken solder joints are quite common failures.
enough left over to pay them.
Yes, cold solder joints are a common problem. GE refrigerators are another example of this. A friend of mine is a computer repairman, so I've given him a couple GE boards to remelt. Havn't used them in the field yet, but I'm guessing they are fine.
I'm glad you were able to repair the board.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Or a soldering iron.