Refrigerator not working again

BTW (I don't think Bob wrote this) "dumbfuck" stuff.

But when's the last time you saw an ordinary household REFRIGERATOR with a freakin' TEV? Huh? Who's the dumbfuck?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That could be true. I once made a homemade control for a welding machine. It was MIG, stick and plasma capable and welded pretty good (though it was not as convenient to use as an industrial welder like Miller).

Anyway, when I calculated the amount of little parts, doodads, and my time at a VERY conservative rate, the time investment in the welder control was so enormous that at something like $20 per hour, I could have used this time to buy the nicest brand new Miller welder out there.

But the difference between making that weld control, versus fixing the fridge, is that when I was asking about various specifics, I got educational, useful answers, instead of screaming and howling like I get from some (but not all) losers that seem to hail from alt.hvac. I, obviously, always welcome any useful ideas that would come from constructively minded HVACers.

Ignoramus25344

I don't see why not, I remember fixing a CNC machine that had a Toshiba bubble memory unit in the controller. It was a hoot, when I told the kid at the electronic supply house about the bubble memory unit, I got a blank stare and a "duh?".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

a lot of the so called magic is pretty obvious and available on line - if you recall any of your thermo courses you can of course do the equations, but these devices really are pretty simple.

Reply to
Bill Noble

I usually only see those for AC units where a burnout is often much more spectacular. I haven't paid attention to the small bullet dryer specs to look for acid neutralizing media content. Acid Away is a liquid that mixes with the refrigeration oil. I use the liquid in addition to the Sporlan HH series dryers on an AC burnout. If the AC evaporator and line set is badly contaminated, I use a cleaner blown through it with nitrogen too. In my opinion, the Acid Away protects the compressor much better than a dryer alone because it stays in the oil in every part of the system like the windings of the compressor motor that are vulnerable to being damaged by acid. There are those critters out there who will just throw a system in and head down the road without regard for how long it will last the customer.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A Sub-Zero? Of course, it's not exactly ordinary.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It ain't rocket surgery. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote

A man after my own heart. I became interested in homebrewing, and am about ready to kick it off.

I DO need a dedicated refrigerator, though.

I managed to get six Cornelius kegs with connectors and a regulator for $100. I may get God knows what more, as I am swapping with a guy who wants my 1200 gal. water tank, and he works for Coke/Dr. Pepper and I am pretty sure he is getting this stuff for free. I am negotiating getting all the "stuff" from a home brewer who was SWMBO'd, except for a $12 wort cooler, which I can build cheaply, and all for $125.

Weather here is hot, and SWMBO will surely complain of the odor of the flatulent fermentation process, so I guess I'll have to retire to the containers and make a dedicated beer brewing area, complete with hot water, triple tank NSF sink, dedicated refrigerators, and welded racking systems to make things easier.

Moving along right on the time line. Should be an interesting and fun hobby.

With the state of the economy today, "working fridges", particularly the top/bottom varieties can be had for a song, and sometimes for just picking them up.

When I was about 18 (1966), I found an old refrigerator in a motel they were tearing down. It had the freezer part on top, but only one door. Wish I knew the brand name, but for the time, was top of the line. Probably go for a grand on ebay today.

I brought it home, covered it in zebra terrycloth, and put it out by the pool for a beer and soft drink fridge. It was running when I sold the house, and had probably been running at least twenty years prior.

They don't make stuff like they used to.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Refrigerator repairmen to me are like teachers. They can't make it in the real world, or at any chosen discipline, so they just take the easy way out, and settle for a position that at least doesn't have a social stigma like "gutter cleaner".

If they were able to grasp the basics of HVAC, they'd be out there changing

10 ton units, doing new construction, putting in very large walk in coolers or freezers, or the like.

But instead, they don't have what it it takes to make it in the trade, so they fall back on "refrigerator repairman."

Which to me is the same to "bicycle mechanic."

No offense to bicycle mechanics out there .................................

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

They are extraordinary. Their price is through the roof. Their appeal and appearance are through the roof. Their customer complaints and dissatisfaction with service and repairs are also through the roof.

How good does a fridge have to be?

Unlike Vulcan, Wolf, Dacor, and similar stoves that just perform superbly, a Sub-Zero is an average refrigerator with some fancy features at a Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher price than average. ................................................. You pay more, you don't get more, except for a fancier cover plate.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have gauges. I would bet a Franklin that I could check the level of freon in my system, call for a repairman, and be charged for a freon charge to "top off the system."

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

I suppose I'm only familiar with the older Sub-Zero units. The units I've fooled with, were built like commercial units with semi-hermetic compressors on the top of the fridge.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Ignoramus25344" wrote

Something tells me you'll figure it out. I see HVAC guys all the time who can't figure out how to pour piss out of a boot, yet they are HVAC guys, and by their accounts, and certificates, are damn fine ones at that.

It's just too bad that the HVAC dynasty does not give out certificates and testimonials for "parts changers."

"Lady, I don't have an idea what's wrong, but I will keep changing parts as long as your bank card clears. And if that fails, there's always the, "It needs a new compressor." Which means someone who actually knows what they are doing will be by to work on the system.

HTH

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

What % of the time would you estimate that happens?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Iggy, You shouldn't have to justify what you do to any of these guys. If they "don't get it", that's their problem.

Luck with the repair.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

'Scuse me, but Igor is hardly a "dumbfuck." He can afford to pay professionals, but likes to do things himself, and isn't embarassed about asking for help. There's a lot to be learned from his approach to these things.

---------------------------------------------------------- You're wasting your time trying to make these morons understand this issue. Most of them don't know anything more than payday is Friday, and drugs are good. What a sorry lot they are.

Iggy is someone to emulate, not denigrate.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Good one, Lloyd!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

It's only a recession if you don't have work.

Reply to
HVAC

And your only an ignorant asshole if you work in HVAC.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Remember all the hype about Bubble memory? It was supposed to do to solid state RAM, what RAM did to core memory. I've only seen one computer with Bubble memory, and it failed twice in two years.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell