Refrigerator not working again

That doesn't mean you have to elect them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, you didn't. However, I worked for Microdyne and was involved in all those projects. Whenever something critical was being built, I was involved. They knew that I wouldn't let anything slip by my bench with problems.

I also built Ch. 58 TV in Destin Florida in the early '90s. I moved and rebuilt a RCA TTU-25B transmitter and laid out the engineering area and studio. I was the 'Engineer of Record' on the FCC's CP. That was the third TV station I worked at as an engineer.

BTW, I was in Alaska when the pipeline was under construction, and a couple miles from the recent oil spill at the Delta Junction/Greely pumping station. I was one of the broadcast engineers at the AFRTS TV station at Greely. It was on Ch. 8, and had a pair of Gates transmitters. B&W, and no video tape.

I wasn't, but you'll never quit.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They look nice, but my days of needing one are over. :(

I lucked out and bought a six year old 'Union City' stepvan on a Chevy chassis for $1300. It had been a uniform delivery truck, and they were replacing 60+ steel body trucks with hinged doors with a fleet of new aluminum body with roll up doors. Most of the fleet was Ford & International. They were the first gone, but I wanted the Chevy. I have worked on an International, and didn't like the Fords. The fleet manager smiled and told me that the couple Chevy trucks were down the least of any in their fleet, and had the lowest operating costs. I had that truck for about ten years, and only spent a couple hundred dollars on repairs. I used it to repair the electronics for three school systems.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't know what country your living in, but in these parts, unless your inside the city limits of a major city, there is no code enforcement, and most small towns don't want to even take your money for a permit unless you had to shut off power to the building..... and then the inspector job is a brother-in-law thing.

Reply to
Steve

It was Heliax but it went to a tower from a high power transmitter. I don't know what size it was, I got the story second hand from the comm techs. Our backhoe operator hit a high pressure water line on another island and he was digging where he was shown. There was so much stuff underground there that the permanent staff didn't know where it all was. We found the skeletons of Japanese soldiers and live ammunition all over the place. The island has an EOD unit stationed there because of it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's all about leverage. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

100" of 3" was over $3,000 in the early '80s.

I can believe that. The work I did in the military was often at old sites where all the records were lost. Ft Greely started out as an Army Air Corps airfield. Later, it was part of the early US Air Force. Then it was mothballed for a while, and reopened as an Army base, before being mothballed again. Now, it is being reactivated for another use. There were very few records about the original base, which was a couple miles from the new base. That made it fun for the guys in the steam plant with all the buried pipes between buildings. All utilities on the new section were underground in well marked service trenches, but everything except for water, sewage and steam were still overhead.

Ft Rucker still had a lot of their W.W.II buildings. Some original wood office buildings and warehouses were still in use, but the old barracks were being sold off for scrap lumber. I had to go in and remove cable TV drops to the abandoned classrooms before those buildings were sold for scrap.

Ft Knox was still using their W.W.II firetrap two story barracks for basic training. What a joke! They had two 10 A circuits for the entire building. After you added up the lights and the furnace blower there wasn't enough for a couple radios. The furnaces were next to the latrine to keep the plumbing from freezing, and that was about all they could so.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Definately. We didn't have power lift gates and those girly hand trucks back then. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I live in Florida. Any electrical work done by any contractor requires a permit, due to the high number of sleazy contractors that move here to rip people off.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One way of looking at it.

Bwahahahaha ! ;-)

What pray tell 'tax' is there on AC equipment ? Yes, building codes require certain equipment 'efficiencies' these days. But not anything like 'a listing of installed equipment'. And would YOU trust YOUR local guv for that info as part of your business model ?

Personally - watch it on the Discovery Channel :-).

Sounds like a typical service call, eh ? :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

Definitely!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Bullshit. You got the airflow wrong.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Apparently, in this country, it does :-(

Reply to
.p.jm.

Did so.

Yah, right. Why didn't I see your name on the personel reports ?

As long as mine still works .....

Reply to
.p.jm.

Yep. You've actually been told that ? Geez, how rude. And this from a smoker myself.

I know walking into a place if they smoke or not, and if they don't, I don't ( inside ). No need to ask anything.

Reply to
.p.jm.

It affects your property tax. Anyone except a HVAC lackey knows that.

Sigh. They have more information on you than you know, unless you "Live in a van, 'Down by the river!'"

In some places they want the information to know what kind of loads to expect on the local power grid. A freind works at WPAFB near Dayton. They have to call the utilites before they turn on some of their large equipment to prevent a major power failure in the region.

IOW, you are too much of a wimp to go through it. Uncle didn't give me a choice, and there was no satellite TV back then. That is, other than when the TV stations in Fairbanks rented an earth station to carry the world series. It may have been the first use, outside of the big three networks.

How often do you sleep under a layer of snow on a service call? Or wear insulated boots that weigh about 10 pounds?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Who said it was running? You assume too much, as usual. It didn't come on till later in the day at that time of the year.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not if you try really hard. Weed out the worst deadwood first, and keep trimming away at the dead branches.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Right. You can't even get the word right. You don't even know 'where' I worked, or what years.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I repaired CB radios as a sideline to my commercial two way radio business for a short time. It was idiots like that why I stopped. They also wanted me to do illegal mods, but anyone who asked was shown the door and told to leave.

The rosin smoke was bad enough but I grew up with parents who smoked, and the odor makes me quite ill.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell