Refrigerator not working again

Page 14 of 16
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:18:24 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Not exactly, but your is better than the version I'd already heard. ;-)
Thanks! Rich
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:08:18 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

house call? ;-)
Thanks, Rich

I can't help it if you don't charge enough. ;-)
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Unfortunately, I was in the Military, and on active duty. The recommended procedure wasn't working, and we had a lot of complaints about TVs with a vertical roll, all over the base. It took over 15 minutes per try to do it by the book. Adjust it, fire up the transmitter and run the tests after five minutes. Shut it down. Wait a few minutes and then shove the shorting stick into the HV power supply. Then repeat. We had been following the book for over two days. Finally I got fed up and removed the end cap so I could close all the safety doors and stepped inside. Ten minutes later we had exactly what we needed, and the other engineer shut down the transmitter and discharged the power supply. Needless to say, I trusted him with my life.

You only make a mistake like that once. Then they scrape what's left of you off the equipment & the walls.
BTW, some of you other Veterans might get a kick out of this: <http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/historical-military-pay-rates
enough left over to pay them.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Easy, just keep your non-dominant hand in your back pocket. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Actually, I had to use my left hand because of the tight quarters. My good hand was behind me. :)
enough left over to pay them.

It's easier to just stand on one leg, Jeff.
A guy had an apprentice. The guy had shown the apprentice over and over that when you're working on 440 or above, he'd stand on one leg, do the switch-overs/etc., then go back to both legs.
One day, the guy was sick enough to have to spend a day in the hospital. The Apprentice took the job due on that day; and he ended up in the same hospital about noon on the day of the job, from a shock injury.
The guy heard about it, and visited his apprentice, who recounted the scenario. He said, "I stood on one leg, just like you showed me!".
The guy says, "Damn, son! Don't you know I have a wooden leg?!"
<G>
LLoyd
One of my Dad's friends had two wooden legs. He was in world war II, and crashed a plane. Lost both legs below the knee. He told me one time how he went to pull a bulb out of a socket (bulb broken, still energized). Grabs it with pliers, and yells and throws the pliers across the room. Guess the wooden legs didn't help much.
Some woman yelled at him, he was parked in a handicap spot. He asks if she thought a wooden leg was a handicap. She agreed it was. "I got two of them, so there!" was his reply.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:27:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was once out with a little social group, and one of the members, Lisa, Ken's wife, had osteoporosis imperfecta - she was about 2 1/2' tall, with essentially nonfuctional legs. She had hand control on her car, and used an electric wheelchair except sometimes she'd get a lift (literally) from her hubby Ken - he could carry her like a baby. Well, we were having dinner once (this is a group of about 8 or 10 people), and somehow or another, I came out with "Hire the handicapped - they're fun to watch."
Lisa quipped, "Yeah, we are."
The table kind of went silent - what a gaffe I had just committed! But I pulled it out - "What? Lisa? You're a *handicap*??? Sorry, I thought you were just really, really short."
Good feelings ensued. :-)
Cheers! Rich
Isn't it amazing, after all, that _one_ RCM'er posts a request to his peers for advice on an aging fridge, and the alt.hvac folks think they MUST require him to receive "professional service" on his no-longer- necessary refrigerator?
It's not, really; considering that they want a "piece" of every refrigeration job out there, even if their services are not only not needed, but certainly not WANTED. They want their government-guaranteed "slice of the pie", and you're damned if you don't use them.
IG... not for nothin', but you need to remove that alt.hvac from your newsgroups posting list (not like I did _not_ this time <G>). They're thieves, liars, and incompetents. And... FWIW... they RULE the industry, in all their malfeasant glory. The gov'mInt makes it so! Long live the EPA!
LLoyd
On Sep 28, 10:35pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Yeah, who else would fill a psrking with broken ice boxes and such., to recycle them?
Back upstairs., I guess if daddy would have used his fingers around the edge of the the broken bulb without a plier to short the contacts his prosthetics would have protected him. I'd Frame the pliers if he quit because of thst one little short;/ R.

Reminds me a great deal of a union attitude. Protectionism at its worst.
Harold
On 9/25/2010 10:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Next time you're at the supply house, pick up a tube of Leak Lock. You'll never be without it again.
http://www.highsidechem.com/leaklck.html
TDD
Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare wrench.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 9/25/2010 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Locktite makes a penetrating locker but when you have something apart, a thin coat of Leak Lock on the mating surfaces and all your problems are solved. I use it on all mechanical connections, it will even hold screws in place.
TDD

So your the idiot that puts that crap on service port caps. :-(
On 9/25/2010 8:42 PM, Steve wrote:

Nope, nope, nope, not me! I use the appropriate sealer in the appropriate places. I once did a lot of commercial glass work and automatic door installation and service. That's the sort of thing Loctite and Nylock nuts were made for. The Leak Lock for the air fittings on the pneumatic door systems. Those old Stanley air doors sounded just like the doors on Star Trek, do you remember those? Just about every grocery store had the damn things 30-40 years ago. Most of the pneumatic and hydraulic door operators have been replaced by 90 volt DC drive units. Folks would be amazed at the technology that goes into those ubiquitous automatic doors they wander through everyday. 8-)
TDD

Trivia note- on the original show, they got lots of letters from architects and engineers wanting to know how they got the automagic sliding doors to open and close so fast. They were well faster than what was commercially available in 1960s. It was all a fakeout- the door slides were done by stagehands, pulling or pushing on cue. I suspect the dubbed sound effect for the opening and closing may well have been from a Stanley of the era. They stole sound effects from lots of places, and then tweaked as needed. One of the early torpedo sounds was the sound you get from hitting the web of a loose steel I-beam with a hammer. Back in that pre-computer era, all the sound effects were artisan work like that.
--
aem sends...

Plenty of bloopers were filmed, when the stage hands weren't quite on cue, and people walked into doors.
Of course, now you can mention about the salt shakers....
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 9/26/2010 1:29 AM, aemeijers wrote:

Ben Burtt who did the sound for the Star Wars saga would walk around with a tape recorder and a hammer. He came up with the blaster sound by hitting a guy wire with a wrench. Chewbacca's voice was created by the original films' sound designer, Ben Burtt, from a mix of recordings of walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers in Burtt's personal library. Burtt is notorious for using this famous sound effect:
http://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net/wilhelm /
TDD