Refrigerator clangs when compressor stops

I have a 20 yo frost free refrigerator that works fine untill it stops compressing. The compressor makes a number of dull bell like chimes when it stops. First, is this a sign it is dying? Second, can I wrap the compressor to muffle the sound if it is not ready for scrap? It has a top freezer and has a fan forced condencer. Thanks in advance. Bill
Bill wrote:

I'm don't have experience with refrigerators, but I wonder whether it might be broken bearings?

Actually, if it is broken (as it sounds like it is), you probably would be well-advised not to use it. You could have worse troubles!!!
Bill (just a coincidence!)

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 18:44:01 +0000, Bill wrote:

Broken compressor mounting?

That would be my first choice too. Rubber vibration isolation mount with a degraded grommet/bushing. Or just some loose piece of structure laying on or near the compressor.
Haul it out from the wall and have someone turn it off as you observe the compressor. It may not require immediate attention but may cause problems if it is put off for too long.
First step in logical troubleshooting, open your eyes and observe what is happening.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 10:49:20 -0500, default wrote:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/y/yogiberra125285.html "You can observe a lot by just watching." - Yogi Berra

SWAG the rubber bushings holding the compressor have failed and you have a compressor movement without the advantage of the shock absorbent rubber.
replying to NotMe , Bill wrote:

The bushings are tight and not degraded though.