Refrigerant reclaimer question

  1. Does anyone else use a Van Steenburgh or similar refrigerant reclaim machine? Reclaim, NOT recovery. To clean the refrigerant for reuse.
  2. How often do you drain your oil?
  3. How long are your compressors lasting?

Vicki Szaszvari

Reply to
vickin

Hi Vicki, long time no see. Sorry I can't help with the reclaim machine, I have to drive 80 miles each way just to swap out recovery cans...nobody for over 100 miles in any direction from me does reclaim.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Hello Vicki I hope you did not forgot me Both of your questions are good the answer is it depend on refrigerant you are reclaiming in what condition is that refrigerant how badly is "contaminated" and you reclaiming unit should be charge with alkabenzine oil and not with POE. I still have same recovery/reclaiming unit since 1992 it is big and clumsy but it works. Tony

Reply to
new jersey

I just use a standard recovery unit but I'm just curious because I thought the law was that you couldn't reuse the refrigerant except in the same owners unit no matter what we used to recover with. I was under the impression that the refrigerant itself had to be recertified to be reused & not just using a reclaim system. It's been a long time since I took the EPA course so I might be wrong plus they didn't have any certified reclaimers in those days so maybe things have changed.

Reply to
Gary

Vicki works for whatever county Phoenix is in, and they "own" a hell of a lot of systems, and she is the one in charge of keeping the records and reclaiming the recovered refrigerant for re-use in her county. At least thats what she was doing a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Noon-Air

"Now I see", said the blind man.

Reply to
Gary

You right

Reply to
new jersey

408 cert and 409 cert are 2 completely different animals.
Reply to
Noon-Air

Thats the information I was given also.. But the big truck companies have reclaimers and they put the stuff into whatever happens along. Be it refrigerant for refrigerated trailers or for the tractor cab air. They also have reclaimers for Antifreeze. I still have an old Pinnacle Recovery/Reclaimer that works just fine. I don't think it would get along well with the new stuff though. The so-called classic car guys recovery every drop of R12 they can get their hands on and then clean it up for their collectors cars. I doubt any junkyard around here has a junker that hasn't already been tapped.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Maricopa County--home to "America's toughest Sheriff"..

over a barrel

Yes completely different but well to note--( at least last time I checked) "reclaimed / recertified" is not necessary so long as the refrigerant is re-used only in the owner's equipment...( in Vicky's case this would be her County )

IOW, recertification is only needed if it goes into equipment belonging to a different owner...

Which apparently leaves open some interesting scenarios--let's say you have a failed largish commercial package unit you've taken down offa roof for example...turns out a compressor mechanical failure no acidic the gas is just fine....Your busy as hell no time to dismantle for scrap so you sell it on craigslist ( still fully charged ) to joe six pack..he pays you a bit over scrap value for it and comes hauls it off....Okay, since joe now has ownership--and even though Joe is not a certified handler, apparently not any violation for joe to pay someone ( someone that DOES have a license ) to come out and pump it over into joe's own personal storage vessel for later use in any of Joe's other equipment...

Reply to
over a barrel

I have a universal.. But it is one of the first.

. >
Reply to
Don Ocean

Universal still doesn't cut it for automotive.

Reply to
KJPRO

Yep, it does.. But I also have an IMACA card. So it is moot point. I started out on environmental systems on Aircraft and Spacecraft. Can you imagine the delight of the plumber that gets paid trip mileage for the plugged toilet on the space station? ;-)

Reply to
Don Ocean

My universal card doesn't cover mobile... just type 1, 2 & 3. Must have been different in the stone ages. :-)

Reply to
KJPRO

It was.. Coolants were called water. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean