Refrigerant Capacity Info Request

Could someone please provide me with the refrigerant capacity for the following:

Ruud Model : UPCA-030JBS Mfd: 03/1984

The reason I am asking is because I have been quoted an amount by the service company for Freon Reclamation in the amount of $225.00. (This is the service company that has been contracted on behalf of my Service Contractor, and the Serive Contract I have doesn't cover Freon Reclamation)

I contacted 4 other companies and got varying quotes for Reclamation and Disposal of between $75-131 -- so the $225 seems way out of line. One company gave me a specific figure of $15/lb fee for reclamation and disposal; thus my need to find out what the capacity actually is.

I tried contacting a Ruud authorized service company, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

ktb

They are probably on flat rate pricing that covers labor, Hazardous Waste Disposal, recovery machine filters and oil change, and all of the other associated costs with *legitmate* refrigerant recovery and recycling....in other words, they are probably doing the right things right.

How much additional are these other companies going to charge you for labor and other costs??

They aren't going to do it for free either.

Questions..... Why are they recovering the refrigerant out of a 22 year old system unless they are replacing it?? Nothing lasts forever, they only build them to last for 18 - 20 years. I would hope that your new system would have R-410a refrigerant in it.

FWIW you old system was *ONLY* 7.55 SEER when it was new and had a basic refrigerant charge of 86 ounces, and used a pre-charged lineset and coil...... just like a mobile home. Bet you got some pretty high 'lectric bills.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Thank You so much for the specific information i was asking about

now ... onto Your questions -- the Service Contract company (AHS) pays basically only for repairing a system (unless, I would assume that a repair is going to cost more than the cost of replacing it)

the reason I have been told for them to pull the freon is to replace the 'in line filter' I believe!? because it is presumably clogged and is causing a pressure back up that in turn causes the pressure switch to trip (which is the reason I called them out in the first place)

to quote from my AHS contract:

AHS will not contract to perform service nor pay costs involving hazardous or toxic materials or asbestos, nor will it pay costs related to freon recapture or the disposal of refrigerants or contaminants.

The companies that I quoted previously were charging an additional "service call out fee" in addition to the Reclamation and Disposal fee that I was quoting; however, the Service Contractor (AHS) will pay the fees associated with the repair except as I have quoted above.

And thank You once again for the information on the system -- and yes, the electric bills can be a little distressing!!!

Reply to
ktb

The savings in energy costs alone would pay for a new system in just a few short years.

Get ready to replace it whether you want to or not... if the filter/drier is "clogged", its probably going to be from wear metals from that 22 year old, worn out, compressor.

So you insurance company won't pay for refrigerant recovery and disposal that is required by federal law??

The "service call out fee" is just to get them there.... that pays for a host of things...like truck notes, fuel, insurance, truck maintenance/repair, travel time, etc.

That can be fixed

According to ARI(American Refrigeration Institute), a new Rheem heat pump and air handler with the environmentally friendly, R-410a refrigerant, Model numbers; RPNL-030JAZ heat pump RHLL-HM3617JA air handler ARI Ref# 823415 Rated at 15 SEER/HPSF 9.25 with an Average National Annual Cost of Operation of $169 for cooling and $446 for heating. This system is also elegible for an income tax credit. Also ask your installer about the 10 year Parts and labor extended warranty.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Dirty condensor can also cause this. Might want to have the condensor cleaned before cutting open a system.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hate to break it to you but you need a better serviceman. The bad part is the home warranty outfits sub contract to only the cheapest guys in town and you do get what you pay for. Get out while your ahead and call a real service company.

Try a union shop next time if you want it fixed to last or a quality replacement.

If you want to stay with the cheap rat companies, well youll get what you pay for and youll get to spend a lot of time on the internet trying to figure out wtf is wrong with your unit after spending a few more hundred.

After getting flamed in this rat infested shit hole I bet thats a cool prospect huh. :)

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

Those greedy bastards are trying to rip you off. Call the police department and report them now!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

it holds 1,287 pounds. Pay the 225.00 you cheap f*ck.

Reply to
Al Moran

Lmao! what a complete and total moron.

Reply to
Al Moran

Well -- i did get the specific info that i was asking about -- Noon-air was very helpful and 'friendly'

Stormin mormon was helpful and thoughtful in his reply

pjm seemed a bit more interested in my 'billing' enquiries than addressing my query

You have made an editorial comment that while value neutral and considered, is basically a conclusion that I have somewhat come to myself.

and then Oscar Lives just seems upset about something, and I somewhat doubt it is "all about me" or rather is a grander reflection of something else.

So, the proportions are in favor of a reasonable response -- for the most part, to one degree or another, 4 of the 5 responses were interested in providing positive feedback.

The one that insisted on 'trolling' -- well, all I can say is that there is one in every crowd!?

Reply to
ktb

Thank You lots for Your help and advice; I totally appreciate it.

The heat pump replacement is next on our agenda -- we replaced the roof this year, and we are saving up to replace the heat pump next year.

Regarding the 410a refrigerant; I thought I had heard that it wasn't as efficient -- or some such thing -- i honestly don't remember what I heard exactly -- and i don't want to get flamed down again for sounding ignorant ...

anyway ... wish i lived >

Reply to
ktb

Damit! Left me out again. How bout if I just say, "Blow Me!" Does that get me a ranking in your book?(you goofy dingbat) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I dont recall *which* pressure switch the OP said was opening and in fact Im quite sure he didnt say. Could be the HP sw. and if so....

Reply to
Power's Mechanical