reduce range hood vent size or elbow it all over the place?

I have a high performance range hood that I need to vent up and then sideways about 10 feet to the outside. The manufacturer requires a 7" round duct. In order to use a 7" duct I'll have to vent it up, put in a 90, run it across the top of my cabinets, put in a 45 to get in front of a joist, then another 45 to get back straight, then a 90 up, and then a 90 to go to the outside. If I reduce it to a 4" duct, I can go up, put in a 90 and go straight to the outside.
So, which is the lesser of the 2 evils? Any help would be very much appreciated.

If the manufacturer requires a 7" vent but a 4" will work much easier then by all means, reduce the vent size by almost 50%. It wont hurt a thing. The manufacturers usually take things to the extreme and allow for a lot of fudge factor. I would reduce it to 3" but NO smaller. 3" pipe is cheaper and will do the same job as the 4". You should be all set to go. Bubba
OK- thanks for your help. I may have to cut some of the duct pipe short and blow it through the baby's nusery for about 2 or 3 feet, but I can set up a fan to direct the air back into the ductwork before it reaches the corner where the crib is. I should be able to go back up to a 5" pipe at that point and just hang a furnace filter from the ceiling to catch any food debris and grease. You are a real asset to this board. Thanks for all of your insight.
Bubba wrote:

Didn't he just help you figure out what to do?

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Your welcome. Looks like maybe you are catching on. Would you like it drawn out in crayon form so its something clearer you can recognize? Bubba

fourempties wrote:

You lieing sak of shit. So if you order a 15 inch pizza and get a 12 inch that is the same thing?
Bubba wrote:

don't get too excited. Bubba's just clowning. Bubba don't answer any questions with anything but wisdom from his shrimp boat.
Forest

Maybe you should get with the program and you might begin to get a clue. You havent a clue so just STFU! Bubba
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 02:36:12 GMT, no one that you know

I wasnt talking to you fatso! Is your killfile broken?
Bubba wrote:

I dont need a killfile. I like pissin off idiots like you. Now get back on that "shortbus" and ride on home. Bubba
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:25:09 GMT, no one that you know

And you do a good job of it......... now you piss off eh!
Bubba wrote:

Let's see. Reduce the pipe size to less than 1/3 the manufacturer requirements? Why not?

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Lesson #1- don't ever expect a real answer to a real question on this thin rag of a bulletin board. Thought I would give it a try but all you self-professed experts who masquerade as real do-it yourselfers are more than a little pathetic. If anyone wants to seriously answer my question, I would be more than happy to enter a real dialogue. I wish I had a filter to screen out the mental midgets who feel the need to give their 2 cents to a question that someone is actually trying to get an answer to. Yes - I am talking to you Steve Scott, Bubba. Leave the basement once and awhile.
NO TIME FOR DOPES. DON'T RESPOND.
Steve Scott wrote:

Area is based on the square of the diameter. So, 4 instead of 8 would be 1/4 the area.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Can't you just go up and vent it in the attic? That is what we do around here. An added bonus is that the air blown up in the attic helps heat it in the winter and cool it in the summer.
First, refer to the book.
Second, since area relates to the square of the diameter, your 4 inch pipe is (about) a quarter of the area of the 7 inch.
My best SWAG is that the longer 7 inch pipe will flow a lot more air.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.