recycling

I haven't returned a recycled can of refrigerant since last year, but someone told me it cost $80!! now to return a can. Is this true. I remember when thiis first started, those basterds were paying us to return cans, now we have to pay them $80!! How much are you guys charging customers for recycling when it is needed. Like when a coil or drier needs to be replaced?

Reply to
rfofaky

You do know that if you recover the refrigerant in a separate container, you can put it back in the same unit? Clean procedures and purging and temp tests need to be followed though. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Last year I had a place to take my recovery cans... they swaped them out for empty ones. Hughes Supply used to take them but they seemed to have issues with it... had to do with liability, with cost issues, and their lack of training. Another supplier (The Parts Store) will only take 125# bottles and it cost $500 each plus a $150 bottle deposit...this is a bit excessive.

Seems to me that if suppliers are going to sell refrigerants, they should also be required to take back the used stuff for recycling. I don't have a problem with the cost for the service....The customer pays for everything.

BTW... I charge $82 just to take the recovery machine and/or can off the truck.

Reply to
Noon-Air

create a line item in your flat rate pricing manual that refers to refrigerant recovery and disposal of EPA hazardous waste. $149.99 ought to cover most situations, no? recycling machines aren't cheap, nor are vac guages, micron guages, guage-sets, etc. Even if you re-use the same gas, it takes your specialized equipment and your time to perform the work of recycling, and time is money.

Reply to
gofish

I think we covered this last summer, but here is a link to the tank I use. I do not pay $56 for it though, it's less than that.

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

I do not pay $56 for it though, it's

Just curious, where do you dispose of the tank and do you suck the last bit of vapor out of the tank before disposal?

with a one-time-use, it seems like a complete waste of money to me.

Reply to
gofish

use. I do not pay $56 for it though, it's

You turn it into URI and they dispose of it for you. One time use cyclinder. The valves are open when purchased, onced closed they will not reopen. It is a convienence and it is much easier to tote then the 50#'ers. The supply houses I use were having trouble getting the tanks emptied and returned in a promt manner.

Joseph

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

What is recycling .... HAHAHAHA Just kidding

Reply to
daytona°

thats where you cycle where you've previously cycled

Reply to
gofish

Some thing to do with blue boxes out by the curb. And hippies with sandalls made from old tires.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about Hippies made from old tires???

Reply to
daytona°

I like that one better. Your sense of humor is good. Or at breakfast we'd call it eggs-sellent.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Rfofaky, In addition to the $88 truck & travel charge for knocking on the door, I charge an additional $96 for the 1st hour and then $24 for every additional

1/4 hour after that....PLUS $55 to connect the recovery machine for the 1st pound of refrigerant and then an additional $10 for every pound after the first pound. So what's the problem? $55 or $800....the customer pays for everything. You need to stop "thinking like a contractor/mechanic" and start thinking like a businessman. Have you seen how much a 3 bedroom hovel cost today? How 'bout a gallon of gasoline?

Jabs

.
Reply to
Jabs

You need to get with the program too Jabs... your leaving way too much on the table by charging T&M. When you decide to learn the business of running a business. Even with me being in rural south Mississippi, and you in Los Angeles, my rates are higher than yours. How are you able to stay in business when your cost of living is 3 times higher than what your bringing in. Whats your net margin??? 10%?? You need to tighten up Jabs.

Reply to
Noon-Air