Reasonable price for glycol loop tie-in...

My contractor is really sticking it to me with a new 5-ton Liebert unit I need connected to the buildings glycol loop.

Our original unit was done for $5200. The unit was about 50 feet from the tie-in location.

Now we have a second unit that is only 35 feet from tie-in, and they want $9800 for the hookup and R-22 charging of the unit.

Am I out-of-place in questioning the contractor? $9800 seems like alot of money for simply connecting a glycol-cooled Liebert to an existing loop.

I figure $800 or so for 1-1/4" pipe, $200 for glycol, $150 for R-22, and the rest is labor/profit.

-john

Reply to
essenz

What did your other two contractors say that you got a bid from? "Say what?" You didnt get another bid or two? Shut your pie and take your lumps, johnny. Sounds like a life lesson learned. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Have you seen the prices of copper, glycol, and R-22 lately???

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Have you priced anything else that you bought a year ago????

If not, just think about gasoline or diesel... Things are going up... EXTREMELY!!!!!!!

Reply to
KJPRO

Yes, but seldom in the same sentence.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, I have seen the costs of copper, glycol, R-22, and I love how everybody blams high prices on materials.

1 1/4" Copper pipe is $8 per LF, 60 feet total is $480 50lb cylinder of R-22 is $135 5 gallons of Glycol is $155 (60 feet of 1 1/4" pipe at 50% mix is approx 2 gallons) Hangers and ceiling anchors approx $100

So thats $870 in materials, for a job quoted at $9800.

And the job is running two pipes 30 feet, with a couple of 90 degree bends, maybe 10 sweated connections on total. A two man crew should be able to finish this is 2 days.

So in my honest opinion, $9800 is an absurd price. They did the job for $5200 3 months prior, and I doubt they lost money on the deal.

Reply to
essenz

Where is this??? I just paid over $200 for a 30lb can.

So tell me, how is somebody supposed to run a business and make a profit if we do the work for half the price?? Every year there are 19,000 heating and a/c contractors that go out of business because they didn't charge enough, Theydidn't understand the business of running a business. Now your saying that because the contractor has figured this out, his price is obsurd?? Go find you another contractor at Walmart....I hear they got them cheap chinese ones on sale this week.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Diesel is at $4.00/gal here today, regular gasoline is still at $3.30 and is supposed to go up again this week.

If the price of fuel goes up much more, I will have to raise my prices again, even tho the folks around here don't have the $$$ to pay it. Even "Bubba" had to raise his prices because his wife was tired of having to support his business.

Reply to
Noon-Air

And copper.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If its so damn easy John, then why dont you just do it yourself? If the hvac guys are charging what you think is way too much then why dont you open up your own shop and tell us how much money you arent making in a year? Life's a bitch but when you want the comvienence of picking up the phone, calling someone and having them do all the work start to finish its going to cost you. I hope you dont have a wrist cramp writing the check. Bite me! Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Oh, I think that left me a little mark. :-) I wish she would support me. Then I'd quit and let her do it all. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sorry my friend... I was refering to the *local* "Bubba" and "Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob" that finally went from $50 for a service call all the way up to $60!! Yes we have a contractor down here who's nam really is Bubba...He's the local Carrier dealer.

At $75, I am still loosing a bunch of money, but nobody wants to pay the

*REAL* cost of putting a truck on the road, and getting the tech to the service call. At last calculation, that was right at $167.00 just to break even......and thats even before the tech gets out of the truck. Right now with the current state of the economy, My calls are way down, and my gross profit is less than $200 for the year. I don't see it getting any better any time soon.

If the OP wants to whine and snivel because his contractor has to charge what it takes for him to keep his doors open, then he can do it himself, then call the contractor to come back and straighten out the mess at TWICE the price.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Here, Diesel is $4.29 with gasoline at $3.49... Things are going to get ugly!!!!!

Reply to
KJPRO

Profit? You're making a PROFIT?????????

:-)

Reply to
KJPRO

Ebay, where else? Hehehe...

Reply to
KJPRO

Don't forget about other expenses. You know, like....

Truck Fuel Truck insurance Tools Liability Insurance Workmen's Comp Tool/inventory insurance Sales Tax Phone bill Cell phone Electric bill Heating bill Shop rent/morgage payment Health insurance Retirement plan Truck maintenance/upkeep Local taxes State taxes Federal taxes SS taxes Medicare taxes Vacation pay Sick pay Secretary's wages Inventory overhead Inventory manager's wages Salesmen's wages Brazing materials Brazing fuel Advertisement Yellow page ads Office computers Office expenses Postage Shipping Fuel surcharges Delivery costs Tool replacement Tool consummables Internet bill State license fee Local license fee Permit fees

The list is much longer than this...

50 lb for $135... BULLSHIT!!!!!!

If it's so easy.... DO-IT-YOURSELF!!!

Copper prices change daily. Fuel costs change daily. Fuel costs effect almost everything in today's world, where have you been hiding? (under a rock)

Reply to
KJPRO

yup...after taxes, I can buy a 6 pack :-)

Reply to
Noon-Air

.> 50lb cylinder of R-22 is $135

Please tell me where you found it at that price and I'll buy 10 skids....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Nope... the customer provides the bullets, and I bring the beer :D

Reply to
Noon-Air

Don't knock it, that butane is some great stuff!!!!! :-)

Reply to
KJPRO