Reasonable price for glycol loop tie-in...

Page 1 of 2
My contractor is really sticking it to me with a new 5-ton Liebert unit I need connected to the buildings glycol loop.
Our original unit was done for $5200. The unit was about 50 feet from the tie-in location.
Now we have a second unit that is only 35 feet from tie-in, and they want $9800 for the hookup and R-22 charging of the unit.
Am I out-of-place in questioning the contractor? $9800 seems like alot of money for simply connecting a glycol-cooled Liebert to an existing loop.
I figure $800 or so for 1-1/4" pipe, $200 for glycol, $150 for R-22, and the rest is labor/profit.
-john

What did your other two contractors say that you got a bid from? "Say what?" You didnt get another bid or two? Shut your pie and take your lumps, johnny. Sounds like a life lesson learned. Bubba

Have you seen the prices of copper, glycol, and R-22 lately???
Yes, but seldom in the same sentence.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ebay, where else? Hehehe...

Don't knock it, that butane is some great stuff!!!!! :-)
And copper.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If the hvac guys are charging what you think is way too much then why dont you open up your own shop and tell us how much money you arent making in a year? Life's a bitch but when you want the comvienence of picking up the phone, calling someone and having them do all the work start to finish its going to cost you. I hope you dont have a wrist cramp writing the check. Bite me! Bubba

Don't forget about other expenses. You know, like....
Truck Fuel Truck insurance Tools Liability Insurance Workmen's Comp Tool/inventory insurance Sales Tax Phone bill Cell phone Electric bill Heating bill Shop rent/morgage payment Health insurance Retirement plan Truck maintenance/upkeep Local taxes State taxes Federal taxes SS taxes Medicare taxes Vacation pay Sick pay Secretary's wages Inventory overhead Inventory manager's wages Salesmen's wages Brazing materials Brazing fuel Advertisement Yellow page ads Office computers Office expenses Postage Shipping Fuel surcharges Delivery costs Tool replacement Tool consummables Internet bill State license fee Local license fee Permit fees
The list is much longer than this...

50 lb for $135... BULLSHIT!!!!!!

If it's so easy.... DO-IT-YOURSELF!!!

Copper prices change daily. Fuel costs change daily. Fuel costs effect almost everything in today's world, where have you been hiding? (under a rock)
.> 50lb cylinder of R-22 is $135
Please tell me where you found it at that price and I'll buy 10 skids....

Have you priced anything else that you bought a year ago????
If not, just think about gasoline or diesel... Things are going up... EXTREMELY!!!!!!!

Diesel is at $4.00/gal here today, regular gasoline is still at $3.30 and is supposed to go up again this week.
If the price of fuel goes up much more, I will have to raise my prices again, even tho the folks around here don't have the $$$ to pay it. Even "Bubba" had to raise his prices because his wife was tired of having to support his business.

Oh, I think that left me a little mark. :-) I wish she would support me. Then I'd quit and let her do it all. Bubba

Sorry my friend... I was refering to the *local* "Bubba" and "Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob" that finally went from $50 for a service call all the way up to $60!! Yes we have a contractor down here who's nam really is Bubba...He's the local Carrier dealer.
At $75, I am still loosing a bunch of money, but nobody wants to pay the *REAL* cost of putting a truck on the road, and getting the tech to the service call. At last calculation, that was right at $167.00 just to break even......and thats even before the tech gets out of the truck. Right now with the current state of the economy, My calls are way down, and my gross profit is less than $200 for the year. I don't see it getting any better any time soon.
If the OP wants to whine and snivel because his contractor has to charge what it takes for him to keep his doors open, then he can do it himself, then call the contractor to come back and straighten out the mess at TWICE the price.

Profit? You're making a PROFIT?????????
:-)

yup...after taxes, I can buy a 6 pack :-)

Nope... the customer provides the bullets, and I bring the beer :D

Here, Diesel is $4.29 with gasoline at $3.49... Things are going to get ugly!!!!!