Reactive load AC Amp meter for reactive load?

To measure the current of an HVAC condenser fan motor, I used an old Simpson analog shunt (non clamp-on) meter.
Assuming that the meter is operating as designed, is there any reason why this meter would not give a correct reading?
snipped-for-privacy@aaronj.com wrote:

Assuming the motor is powered directly from a sinusoidal line source and not from some undefined exotic solid state speed controller, the answer to your question is yes.
Amps are amps. Reactive current comes into play when you are figuring real and imaginary power.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

DIMwit wrote:

I inheritred this meter from my father-in-law who repaired air conditioners.
The 0-30 Amp meter is built into a box with a receptacle cord on one end and a plug on the other.
You plug it in and then plug you appliance in to measure its current draw.
Thanks for you ample advice!
> I inheritred this meter from my father-in-law who repaired air

Geeze, Stu....
You got a 'Wiggy' from him, too?
Jake
Jake wrote:

Jake, (One of my sons is also a Jake)
I remember using a 'wiggy' way back when. It had a slot to hold one probe and it was fine for testing for voltages. Is that what you call a 'wiggy' or are you referring to a low impedence multimeter pre-vtvm?
If stu had a wiggy, he could easily see if it was AC or DC. nice thunk the wiggy makes Mine works from 1970, but haven't used it since last week. :-)) really!.
Bob

One of these pieces of shit, or did your father-in-law make his own meter?
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/627/1702.pdf

What your asking doesn't make sense. I design a paperclip to cure cancer. "Assuming it works as I designed it", will it cure cancer?

Stu posts questions, baiting everybody. Then we try at first to answer him. Our answers are not to his liking, so he posts his questions differently in a science forum. the answers he gets there he confronts us with, telling us we know nothing. He has an agenda to tell everybody he is doing the correct thing by running his motor at half voltage and he is absolutely safe in doing so. Stu, many people have survived going over Niagara Falls in a barrel even when they were told they might die. Try it, you won't necessarily get killed, but if you do, we can read about your braveness and say: "what a jerk", "he had to prove us wrong". If you survive, we can say "what a jerk"
So stu, if you can read this: I am a scientist. everything I said to before you is fact. everything you were told by others here is also. My analysis of you Stu, is that you are a stupid fucking asshole; it is my opinion. Ask the science people if they think you are an asshole; I bet they tell you that you are too. Now, assholes DO have a purpose in life, so scientifically you are a misfit. Maybe you are supposed to be a mouth and your genes got crossed; ask the scientists. In any case, you are obnoxious, which is one of the definitions of asshole. And don't forget, I stayed in a Holiday Inn express last night again, so I am really smart, and my company saved big bucks on that.
want to check my credentials? call 1-800- eat-shit; ask for iggy-not-ziggy. ask them about your project. You are a perfect subject for Ted Danza's new TV show.
I won't be able to directly read your reply if you choose to do so here, stu, but I am sure some kind sole will include it in something they write.
Bob

This one's gonna leave a mark...