? re neutralizer cartridge

hest had a Rheem Mod furnace & a/c installed and had the combined condensate pumped up from the basement to a first floor laundry tub (I wanted to be able to monitor performance from inside the house).

My waste lines are all PVC, and I am allowed (code) to discharge my waste as stated. I still wanted to rig up some type of 'home made' neutralizer (too much time on my hands) . My outlet tube sits inside a 2-3 liter plastic container which I filled with marble chips. Marble is mostly calcite, a form of calcium carbonate, the active ingredient in antacids. Condensate is discharged at the bottom of the container and flows upward and over to the drain.

The furnace has been idle for about a week and the container is full of condensate. The marble doesn't seem to be affected by the degree of acid in the condensate. The installation manual shows the installation of a cartridge in a 'gravity' system (maximum contact time).

Does anyone know what is inside these cartridges? Does the amount of contact time in the commercial cartridges fully neutralize the condensate? Should I just use the chips in my garden and forget about it?

Thanks for your input.

HankG

Reply to
HankG

Your right, you have too much time on your hands.... maybe find yourself a girl friend??

Reply to
Steve