R22 TO 410: HAVE TO REPLACE LINE??

I have an older heat pump and am considering replacing it with a unit that uses R422. Replacing the line from outside to inside unit will be difficult and might involve carpentry and wall board work. A couple guys said the old line can be cleaned out, no need to replace. Others have said it must be replaced. Which is correct?

Reply to
mhenkali

I meant to say I'm going from R22 to R410, sorry.

Reply to
mhenkali

If the lineset is correctly sized for the new equipment, it can be flushed, but its recommended by the manufacturers that when going from R-22 to R-410a, the lineset should always be replaced.

Reply to
Noon-Air

In my house there wouldn't be anything but a completely new system if I was switching from 22 to anything else!

Reply to
Geoman

Above is true, but I always like to run a new lineset with a complete system.

Reply to
<kjpro

We got that from the thread title. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

"Kids", Dont get all hung up on the line set. Im telling you......... Size is most important. Switching from R-22 to R-410a is NO BIG DEAL. If you dont believe me do it yourself. Blow the old line set out with nitrogen and have someone at the other end. Watch what comes out...basically nothing. Now, spend $100 or whatever for the Calgon RX-11 flush. Blow that through it then blow it out again with nitrogen. If you dont have a bunch of loop de duez and dips you"ll find that basically almost nothing comes out. Dont lose the job because you want to rip out someones ceiling to replace the lineset and company B does it for a whole lot cheaper because all they are doing is flushing it. It WILL be fine! Now Im talking lineset only. If you want to flush a coil and lineset or something else then you get to test that one on your own. Just my .03 cents but it came from a VERY reputable Technical Service Rep. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I believe you! It&#39;s just that with a new lineset, you know it&#39;s clean and there&#39;s no chance for leaks. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

LMAO

Reply to
<kjpro

I want to smoke a cigarette really f****ng bad.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

I&#39;m guessing that Jeffrey has quit smoking?

Reply to
Zephyr

Yes, since early this March--after having smoked for ~ 40 years.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

There is a new qutting drug out! 100% success rate! The local Fox news had it on the docs segment and I know two people at work that used it and were successful. I&#39;m NOT bsing you. I think you have to use it for

3 months and cost is not covered by our health plan but is around what you would spend for butts. check it out.
Reply to
Tekkie®

Congratulations Jeffery! Keep on it! One day at a time.

Reply to
Zephyr