R22 - R410 Changeover interrupted. Am I hosed?

I am having my air heat pump replaced. The old unit is R22 and the new unit is 410A (Bryant).

The guys doing the work were in the middle of the "triple evacuation" when they had to leave. They drew a vacuum once, then pushe some coolant through with nitrogen. They had to leave before the final evacuation.

They said they can come back and finish it in a week.

Does this delay hurt the process? Should I ask them to start over from the top? I don't want to make more work for them for no reason, but I don't want to damage the new compressor due to improper flushing.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

remove the QWERTY to reply snipped-for-privacy@OpQWERTYonline.net

Reply to
Some Homeowner

The only question I have is...what was so important that they couldn't have finished the job, or at least come back the next day and get it done. Leaving the system the way they did shouldn't effect it as long as it was closed off.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Sounds like they used some Calgon RX-11 to flush your old lines since they didnt replace them? The triple evacuation is unneeded anymore as the new vacuum pumps are two stage. The most important thing is to make sure they use a micron gauge to measure the degree of evacuation. It should get to 500 microns or less and hold to be considered "Good". It sounds like they dont have one? Sounds kinda nice that they pissed on your job to go away for a week to another "more important" job. Did you pick the cheapest quote? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

"Noon-Air" wrote in news:T42dnZv6gYx6EP_anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Noon-Air:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they capped it off carefully before they left. They weem like conscientious workmen.

They had to leave because the snow was piling up faster than forecast and they had about a 45 minute drive home in the truck. Since my system is dual fuel and the oil part is working fine I told them I didn't mind.

As for the dealay, I guess they are just booked up.

Reply to
Some Homeowner

Bubba wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, they were flushing and re-using old lines (the line run across the house over a finsihed basement so replacing the line would be more expensive than usual.)

They were using a vacuum pump and gauge of some sort. I am not wure what type, I was only sort of keeping track of what they were doing.

They had to leave because the snow was piling up. The snow storm started in ernest sooner than forecast.

They got the outside compressor unit and the indoor coil installed and closed up before they left. Since my system is dual fuel my oil heat is working fine and it's not really a hardship for me. (Too cold for a air heat pump in CT right now) They could have come back this Saturday, but I had other plans already made.

Saturdays are their make-up days so if they do mess up the customer doesn't need another day off work. Works for me.

Reply to
Some Homeowner

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When first reading your post, I was thinking of some the installers I have seen with the "I'll get it done when I get around to it," mentality. But the reality is, snow or any form of precip is cause for cutting the job short. Any type of moisture in the system is bad and I am glad they made the choice to close the system before exposing it. The worst scenerios I run across in service is those systems that aren't started up properly.

Just so you know, because they are still doing an evacuation and leak check... When they come back, do be present. Ask them to explain their gauges and what they are looking at. Good techs will not only welcome the company (afterall, it can become extremely routine) but they will be glad that you, the long term owner of this equipment, is interested in knowing not only how it works but how to keep it working at its best.

Reply to
schumann.comfortcentral

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Good to know. I was avoiding asking too many questions (for fear of looking like I was trying to tell them how to do their job or something.) But if you think they will be ok with me asking question I will do it. I am VERY curious what they are doing. I am technical, an engineer, I just don;t know jack about HVAC, so I love to learn new stuff.

Reply to
Sum Yung Guy

Oh shit! Nuf said. :-) Bubba

Reply to