R22 in 1972?

Page 1 of 2
If a central A/C system was installed in 1972, does it probably use R22? Or is R22 more recent than that?
Should say on the nameplate. In 1972, central AC could have used R-22, R-12, R-673, R-48, R-71, or a couple of others.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I don't see the nameplate. I've been told it's a Heil NCABA24VB03.
What do you do when you service one that has something older than R22, and find that it's low on coolant? Do you add whatever it had, or do you replace all the coolant with R22, or what?

You file for social security for it, and replace it. Maybe contact the manufacturer and ask them if they need another piece for their museum.

This one is only 36 years old. It would have to be 67 to qualify for social security.
Suppose you were called to a house to work on a 36-year-old system, with a Heil gas furnace and a Heil condensor outside. Would you insist that it had to be replaced, even if the owner said there wasn't enough money to replace it?
What if the owner said it worked fine, with only one minor symptom, that the airflow was too slow? In the winter the heat worked ok because it didn't need as much airflow as the A/C did.
Would you just ignore the coolant and look for why the airflow was slow? Or what?

Not true... it's considered "disabled" as it doesn't work anymore.

It would be in their best interest, but hey, it's their money!

I'd say they probably live in the southern states.

Or what...

Social Security has very strict rules for disability. The airflow being slow would be considered a partial disability, and there would be no Social Security benefits. Only if the airflow stopped completely, or there was no cooling at all.

Please tell this to the thousands of people that are illegally drawing SS.

There are financing options available if the system needs to be replaced. Normally, the savings on the energy bills will make the notes and then some. BTW, while you here screwing around, you might want to do some homework on the EPA website and take a look at the HCFC phaseout schedule.

What was used to determing the airflow?? Who said its too slow?? What measurements were taken??

"coolant"?? LOL
Call somebody that knows WTF they're doing....and no its not gonna be free.
Eric wrote:

I would recommend a garage sale that sells fans at bargain prices. Being low on cash doesn't get expensive repairs or replacements. We all run a business and Charity comes under another heading. Steve is correct. If you can afford A/C.. You are already living a luxury.

I would guess that you have not cleaned or serviced that unit in a long time. Its pay me now or pay me later. Did you really check the airflow or did the Wife(going through the change) tell you that?

Actually I would check everything. Call backs piss customers and dispatchers off.
I suspect Noon Air was a surgeon in his last life. "When in doubt, rip it out."
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Wish you were an oral surgeon, so you could pull parts out of your mouth and stop talking trash.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

R-22

Do you mean that model has R-22, or do you mean you would replace what it has with R-22, or do you just mean it's spelled R-22 vs R22?

Just call somebody that knows WTF they are doing.

LMAO

Kenny, hes just another troll.
Some of us grey haired old coots have some of the old stuff stashed. From the seventies you say? Well, it could be R-22. Started about that there time.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus