R134a compressor on R12 box

Page 1 of 2
With a R134a condensing unit on a freezer designed for R12. It isn't working right, customer keeps saying the ice is melting. (ice merchandiser outside a store)
What comes to mind? Aside from Stormy jumping off a bridge. Replace the gas with a R12 replacement blend?
On 7/20/2013 7:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is there a TVX valve or is it a cap tube evaporator? o_O
TDD
Captube. These aren't grown up enough to be trusted with a TXV.
I remember from some where, the new stuff needs more flow to get the same cooling.
On 7/20/2013 7:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is there a TVX valve or is it a cap tube evaporator? o_O
TDD
On 7/20/2013 11:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If it's a compressor rated for R134a, it should handle any R12 replacement. I use R416a in systems designed for R12 and it works better. ^_^
http://www.airgasrefrigerants.com/r-416a.php
TDD
The condensing unit (contains a compressor) on the box is rated for 134a. The guy at the shop uses 416a, which he's had good results. I've got some 414b, which is supposed to be bisexual, replaces 12 or 134a. Might try that, next time I get called to the store. I suspect it's got better heat carrying ability. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
If it's a compressor rated for R134a, it should handle any R12 replacement. I use R416a in systems designed for R12 and it works better. ^_^
http://www.airgasrefrigerants.com/r-416a.php
TDD
I've had some success with R414b, otherwise called Icor Hot Shot. supposed to replace 12 or 134a, and has higher heat capacity than 134a. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 7/21/2013 10:06 PM, Tony944 wrote:

That's OK, I've never had a problem using mineral oil with R416a but I will definitely give R414 a look and perhaps a trial in a system. ^_^
TDD
You know, sometimes obvious answers really evade me. Thank you, have saved my day. Please provide an item number or URL for such a 14 ounce can. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
It only takes 9.6 ounces of R-12 and your fretting about what replacement to use??? Why don't you just buy a 14 ounce can of R-12 on eBay for about $25 and be done with it.........
You know, sometimes obvious answers really evade me. Thank you, have saved my day. Please provide an item number or URL for such a 14 ounce can. . If you're only going to buy one can and you need it "now" it will cost you more than $25. The best way is to watch eBay and look for deals. Looks like thsese are mostly 12 oz. cans
Do you already have a can "tap"?
Here's but one auction with a Buy-It-Now kind of price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IG-LO-Leak-Chek-Freon-12-R12-can-12-oz-Recharge-Auto-Air-Conditioner-/221255823646?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3383dff11e&vxp=mtr
Here's an auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/R12-Freon-R-12-refrigerant-NOS-12oz-/300937205322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461141564a
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-12-Freon-/251307291236?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8314f264&vxp=mtr
Here's a 14 oz. can: http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-12-Freon-/251307291905?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8314f501&vxp=mtr
On 7/22/2013 4:36 PM, SRN wrote:

You have to consider the shipping and handling charge on any of those purchases. I've seen $100 shipping and handling charges on some items and you can't always be sure you're getting what you pay for. When I purchase something for a job where I have to guarantee my work, I must obtain my material from a reliable source, ie, a supply house. I can't go to a customer and say "I have to wait until it comes up for bid on eBay." A customer want's their equipment fixed NOW. ^_^
TDD
Witchie poo hollers "Help me, I'm melting!"
http://www.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2000/10/29177768-29177771-large.jp g . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
When I purchase something for a job where I have to guarantee my work, I must obtain my material from a reliable source, ie, a supply house. I can't go to a customer and say "I have to wait until it comes up for bid on eBay." A customer want's their equipment fixed NOW. ^_^
TDD
Thanks, I'll try that for my next jug of juice. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Oh heck, I used R414b when it first came out then I later started using R416a and never went back to R414b. o_O
TDD
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

lower "head" pressure is a good thing? Injecting???
Oh boy you know how to talk my language. Heh heh
--
Tekkie

On 7/29/2013 7:15 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I meant injecting as in enema. Perhaps it won't blow my ass up. ^_^
TDD
This thread is so full of multiple meanings, it's dificult to follow. That said, it's getting to be cooler weather, so the OP's box in question (hey, that's me!) won't be a problem till next year.

---
The OP's box is outdoors. Won't get killer hot till next summer, and should run fine on the hybrid system.
On 7/31/2013 11:26 AM, Tony944 wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 20:16:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

gone?
On 7/21/2013 11:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The evaporator is not designed for 134a. If it had an expansion valve instead of a capillary tube metering system, it could be adjusted to use the 134a or it could be replaced with an expansion valve specifically designed for low temp 134a operation. I personally would change refrigerants to an R12 replacement that will operate at lower pressures than 134a. Of course, I have cut out cap tubes and installed a TVX valve in its place so a system could operate with a different refrigerant. ^_^
TDD
The old R12 cap tube systems operated with less refrigerant flow. The new stuff is far less efficient. Live and learn moment, I guess. I'm sure the store will call back. I'll go evacuate the sytem, and charge it up with new refrigerant. See if that keeps them happy. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
The evaporator is not designed for 134a. If it had an expansion valve instead of a capillary tube metering system, it could be adjusted to use the 134a or it could be replaced with an expansion valve specifically designed for low temp 134a operation. I personally would change refrigerants to an R12 replacement that will operate at lower pressures than 134a. Of course, I have cut out cap tubes and installed a TVX valve in its place so a system could operate with a different refrigerant. ^_^
TDD
On 7/22/2013 6:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Many folks can't understand that the restaurant owner wants the equipment fixed NOW. He/she/it can't wait for something to come up for bid on eBay. I try to stock parts for specific customers but I'm not rich and can't afford to do a lot of that especially with all the medical problems I've had in the past decade. I have some customers that I obtained a jug of refrigerant for at cost because their old equipment would develop leaks due to age, rough usage by employees and vibration. If I was unable to get to them, (I was hospitalized when one called me) someone else could repair their stuff and the very expensive refrigerant would already be on site. A lot of small business owners is po just like me and struggling to survive, so we stick together. ^_^
TDD