quiet return grille recommendations

Page 1 of 2
My 16.5x31.5" furnace return grille is getting on my nerves after 20 years. Should I just go to Home Depot and "supersize" my grille? Or is there a brand out there with a reputation for quiet?
Thanks, Jake

If its been noisy for 20 years, that kind of indicates that it wasn't done right in the first place. Add to that that the average lifespan for a furnace is 18 - 20 years, you might want to consider replacing the old furnace and ductwork with a new super energy efficient one that is correctly sized for you home and get the ductwork re-done correctly at the same time. All things being right with the world, the noise will go away and your energy bills will drop considerably.
Noon-Air wrote:

Just turn off the fan. :)
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

Or turn up the TV! ;-p

The furnace is new as of last week. The noise remains an issue. Which grille would you buy for your home?
Thx, Jake

The furnace is new as of last week. The noise remains an issue. Which grille would you buy for your home?
------------------------------------
I would buy correctly sized ductwork. The air noise is from restriction in the air flow. It wasn't done right in the first place, and now you have a new box(furnace) and still have the same problem. How many btu is the furnace?? does it have A/C?? how many btu or tons?? Its entirely possible that there are multiple problems.... oversized furnace, and undersized ductwork. Its not *JUST* the grill.
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:00:46 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Lmao. What hack did you let do the work? Oh wait, I know, you went with the lowest bidder! I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
ftwhd wrote:

Did he Charge only $3800 for the entire bid? Yep, that the lowest bidder.

nothing to do with climate... all my service agreement customers have been taked care of. Those that were up for renewal didn't have the money to renew. Condemned 2 furnaces... they don't have the money to replace them.

I do some fridge work, and most all of my commercial customers have gone out of business, and closed their doors. I only have a couple of commercial customers left.

will pick up again. Gas is down to 1.89 around here but its going to take some time for folks to recoup and get caught back up. Its hard to get by when your pumping a few hundred a week into the tank to get to work. Especially for those who make shit wages, Thank god for the UA. :)

The only thing that is keep ing me afloat right now is that all the low bidders and hacks went to Houston, to grab some of that hurricane Ike money. I am picking up what they left behind, as well as fixing their screw ups.
wrote: snippage

In the shiter i suppose..

pretty much rebuilt as its gonna be... until some money starts moving again. as for the new housing market?? 6 months ago a builder I know went belly up and turned the keys for 40 homes over to the bank.
Gas is more like 2.50 but then, New York is high on gas prices. Yep, it's going to take a while to get back to abnormal.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

The Cheapest here is $1.92/9 per gallon. And that is 10% gasohol. Flex fuel, whis\\ch is 27% Gasohol is a flat $1.42. E85 is less, But around here, only Government vehicles are rigged for that. Diesel is still way too damned high. Most of the farmers equipment is diesel. Even without road taxes it is still high. Propane is down from $2.12 to $1.68. The farmers are burning a tremendous amount of Propane right now in the corn dryers. Too much snow and rain with temperatures staying just about 32f daytime temperatures. We host some of that largest Gasohol producers in the world and one of the biggest just declared a chapter 13 or is it 11? reorganization. They contracted to buy corn at last years prices and now are getting the bottom line massacred by that. More will either bankrupt of reorg withing weeks. Gasohol is tax subsidized to the tune of about 55 cents a gallon.
I tried that 10% ethanol fuel in my vehicles. The mileage dropped from 18 to 15. Not worth the price difference.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I run gasohol any time I can find it. It makes better power, the engine burns cooler, and burns a hell of a lot cleaner. I ran gasohol exclusively in a '76 Mustang II Mach I Stallion.....it had the 2.8V6 that dyno'ed at 275hp. I ran it for 180,000 miles before I tore it down. There was ZERO carbon deposits in the engine, and only a light brown haze on the tops of the pistons. The factory honing crosshatch was still visible the entire length of all 6 cylinders. The insides of the tailpipes were white. BTW, it got as high as 34mpg on the interstate @ 65mpg with 3.40 gears in the rear end and no overdrive
Hmmm. That's strange. My van went from about 18 MPG to 15.5 MPG when I ran gasohol. Turned out to cost more, when I did the math.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I took it to playland for a happy meal the other day. Does that count?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus