Question about old heating oil tank

Hardly. I DON"T know how much rust may or may not be in the bottom of that tank. But if it's not leaking, then it's not leaking. I just want to know how to apply a temporary fix until I could put a new tank in, in the event that it starts dripping. Stop making ASSumptions. I see no reason to change something now just because *maybe* years down the road either I or the next homeowner

*might* possibly have a problem. Otherwise, you might as well replace everything in the whole damn house "just in case", and that's just getting stupid. I don't care if you think that makes me a cheapass. If you're selling something that's old, a buyer can't expect absolutely everything to be guaranteed. It's much the same as with selling off your old car - the buyer, to some extent, has to take into consideration that he may run into problems sooner than if he bought it brand new.

- Logic316

"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity."

Reply to
Logic316

Can I liquify the bubbles and use them for fuel? Really, I'm strapped for cash here...

- Logic316

"Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get."

Reply to
Logic316

So you wouldn't have a problem with buying a home from someone like you. Personally, I would also have to ask.. whatelse in the house have you screwed with that is gonna give me a problem.

Reply to
Steve

I would answer all questions honestly. If a buyer asks me how old the boiler and the oil tank is, I would tell him. If he wants to know how much fuel it uses, I would show him my oil bills (I have all the receipts going back 7 years). Like I said, if you buy an old car from somebody, even though he should point out any known defects, it's still your job to ask all the right questions and look it over carefully (or insist that an expert examine it), but to still expect the possibility that something might go wrong sooner than if you bought it brand new. If you have a problem with that, then maybe they should just make it illegal for anybody to ever sell anything in used condition?

I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't touched the oil tank, except once just to clean out the whistle.

- Logic316

"...trusting the government with your privacy is like having a Peeping Tom install your window blinds." -- John Perry Barlow

Reply to
Logic316

Somehow I have doubts...

And if he aske you how much longer it's gonna last ?

Tyhe whole idea is based upon a stupit premise anyways go away quit flipping houses asshole...

--either he wants the house or not--now, if you dont want it then quit wasting my time cause Im not gonna replace the roof, carpets hvac paint upograde electric plant palm trees install a telescope and solar cells etc. just because you and your realtor think it *might make the place more attractive to the average buyer.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

Pretty much the same as everyone in here has determined that you are a tightass AND a moron. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Its quite obvious you havent sold any homes lately. Living with a realtor, Im quite up on the subject. Most new homebuyers now hire a home inspector for a home they are interested in. Some are incompetent and some are very very thorough. Right down to ungrounded electrical outlets and cracks in walls and foundations that you done even notice. They also know ages and life spans of things like furnaces and air conditioners, etc. There is a good reason for home inspectors and that is because of people like you Logic. Guys like you that futz with all your own chit and patch it together with chewing gum and duct tape. When you sell you get to fill out discloseure forms. If they find out you lie they can come back years later to sue your ass although anyone can sue anyone for anything. Comparing a home sale to a car sale is almost funny. You need a dose or reality logic. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Is the outside rusty? I would think that the inside would not rust very fast, since part of the time it is immersed in fuel oil, and the rest of the time the air inside is pretty stagnant. In short there is not a large continuous supply of fresh air and moisture, as with, say, a bucket, car, or other steel object left outside. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

bubba you are absiolutely correct. a nearby homeowner sold a house with a bad sewer line, new owner had flood, from sewage backup...

new owener called plumber who said yeah i told old owner main line was bad, not disclosed old owener paid for all new sewer line, wall and yard replacement and new driveway.

new owner didnt care much about costs, old owner poaid thru nose.

Reply to
hallerb

I am floored by your wit Booboo. But if I'm going to call a technician for help (which will be when I call for a new boiler, since I'm pretty sure at this point I can reasonably tune the primitive old beast I'm using right now myself), you can be sure it won't be somebody who works for an oil distributor. It will probably cost me a bit more, but considering the fact that the previous oil company guys I've dealt with used no precision metering equipment, and the fact that my own "measuring by eye and nose" guessing made the boiler run a bit cleaner and more efficiently, I really have no reason to trust you guys. Sorry.

- Logic316

"Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss. Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians."

Reply to
Logic316

C'mon, how am I supposed to know that? For all I know it might last another

20 years, or spring a leak right after he buys it. That's just the risk you take when you buy an old house. Am I expected to replace all the old plumbing in the walls as well, before I can sell the goddamn place?

- Logic316

"Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Reply to
Logic316

Yes, your best bet is to replace everything including the foundation.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

The only thing I would disagree with is that I think the used car analogy has validity. Logic's apparent premise is that there is no advantage to fixing anything until it's completely shot or it's remaining life can be exactly determined. Now if I had a used car to sell, just like a house, there are certain things I'd fix because I know they are going to be important to a prospective buyer. If the car had two front tires that were worn and nearing their end but still met the minimum state inspection reqts, I'd get new ones, because it makes the car easier to sell and you will likely get the money for the

2 tires back and maybe more. And just like with a house, a car with no obvious items sticking out, leaves the buyer with the impression that it's more likely been maintained in some reasonable fashion over time. If the car had floor mats that couldn't been cleaned to look nice, I'd replace those too. Of course you have to do this on a case by case basis, depending on what the value of the car is, etc. But putting $300 into a $5000 car could easily make the car sell quicker and get you the $300 back.

In the case of the oil tank, do we even know how old it is? The fact that people are telling you some insurance companies won't write a policy on a house with a tank over 20 years old should tell you something. I would expect MOST tanks would fail by developing a slow leak, which if caught in time, could be dealt with without having a big problem. But given that a big problem could be tens of thousands of dollars, why take that risk? Suppose it leaks just 5 gallons into the basement. How easy do you think it's going to be to get the smell out, so that some prospective buyer doesn't start investigating what it's all about?

So, I think the answer is determine it's age as best you can and either replace it because it's old and prudent to do so or have a pan ready and ride it till it starts leaking oil.

Reply to
trader4

You just dont get it and it is painstakingly evident that you never will. No harm. Keep beating your head against that brick wall. It may help one day. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

JohnnyK15 had written this in response to

: There are many fuel oil dealers who can perform an ultrasonic thickness test (with an EPA approved technology) on your oil tank for internal corrosion. Visit
and click on your state to see who in your area offers the test and inspection. If you get the tank tested at the time of a tune-up, it will usually only cost about $40 - $50. The TankSure Program's purpose is a long-term proactive replacement program. During the initial inspection the technician can determine if your tank is in need of immediate replacement, if it qualifies for a $1000 replacement payment (some companies offer a higher payment), or if there are certain upgrades you should consider before you qualify for the replacement payment (e.g. improper fill or vent size). The tank would then be subsequently tested on an annual basis (so long as you get a tune-up annually) and the thickness measurements are analyzed to see how quickly your tank is corroding and by how much. If at anytime while you are on the program the software indicates you need a new tank, the company would tell you that you have been flagged for replacement and also give you the replacement payment towards a new tank. The initial inspection is not the "silver bullet" to determine if your tank is in sound condition, however, you're covered by the replacement payment even if your tank starts to leak.

If your tank starts to leak, there is also a magnet patch that dealers can put in certain areas as a temporary fix, but you should replace your tank before your next fuel delivery. If a tank starts leaking at a seam then a magnet patch wouldn't work.

I have more information regarding the TankSure Program if you are interested then please let me know and I live in Massachusetts. In many states you can now obtain a discount on your homeowner's insurance for having the test and inspection (in most cases covers the cost of the test).

-Jon

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair,alt.hvac - messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
JohnnyK15