Queit here

Page 2 of 3

You will have to do some homework and contact the appropriate authorities in you area.

On 8/18/2012 1:15 AM, Bill wrote:

In many parts of the country you must be licensed and pay a special excise tax to the State.county/city/etc in order to touch any HVAC equipment. Other parts of the country, nobody really cares..unless you burn down something or the other. Licensing of course requires a test of ability and a certain amount of experience gained while working for a licensee.

PaxPerPoten wrote:

I think if I lived a mile north (different county), I would have some issues, but where I am I don't think they worry too much.
Licensing of course requires a test of

But, how many customers do you get, with those kind of prices?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I won't lower my rates! I charge fair pay for the work done.

On 8/18/2012 6:37 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

> But, how many customers do you get, with those kind of prices? > > Christopher A. Young > Learn more about Jesus > www.lds.org > .
If you charge twice as much, you only need to get half as much work. Maybe a little less than half, some of your expenses will be lower. Mikek
I have a theory on pricing. See if I can describe it in type writer art. Theory is that if you rate prices from low to high. Too low, and people don't believe you. Too high, and scare folks off. But, there is a middle range. Price low is on the left, and too expensive is on the right.
NUMBER OF CALLS COMPLETED * * * * * * * -------------------------------------------------- low high
ACTUAL INCOME * * * * * * * * -------------------------------------------------- low high
The point is, by being "high but fair" you get fewer # of calls, but the $ income goes up. Also, you tend to weed out the cheapass time waster pretend customers.
If you charge twice as much, you only need to get half as much work. Maybe a little less than half, some of your expenses will be lower. Mikek
On 8/18/2012 7:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, there is a price point where you maximize income with the same amount of work. Your price point may depend on where you are headed. Are you a single man shop? Do you want to grow to be a large organization? An established single man shop can have a higher price point to maximize income and work 40 hrs. You also need a way to generate the incoming calls. The better you are at generating the incoming calls the higher your price point can be. Remember you only need enough work to fill the 40 hours. However, if you want to build an organization you may want to have a little lower price point and make every customer part of your sales team. They can be repeat customers and spread your name by word of mouth. You may not generate high personal income for many years while you are adding employees and building a large base, but at some point you will have 10 other people generating your income and at that point your income will be more than if you are a single man shop. My wife and I are a single man *shop, no desire to get any bigger.
Mikek * not HVAC related
A higher but fair price will help to eliminate the chiselers and deadbeats. It also cuts down on no-pays, slow-pays and bad checks. Save you charity work for those that deserve and need it. Feed you family first!
On 8/18/2012 7:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

PaxPerPoten wrote:

If someone is intent on ripping you off, I would be surprised that they would be sensitive to the actual dollar amount!
On 8/20/2012 4:48 PM, Bill wrote:

Usually a higher but fair price brings in a better class of clientele. If you wish to deal at the social strata of ripoff artists,,, be my guest. I might even be able to give you a list from the collected experiences of the local Contractors association.

I show my customers in my book what the necessary repairs cost before I start work. They sign the service order to authorise the work, and they know up front that they pay in full at the time of service. Rubber checks get a certified, return reciept letter that demands payment in full plus a $40 bad check charge in 10 calender days either in cash or money order. If they don't make it good in 10 days, it gets turned over to the sheriffs dept bad check unit for collections.
On 8/17/2012 3:50 PM, Bill wrote:

I wonder how much one could make using you as a subcontractor? ;-p
PaxPerPoten wrote:

Probably quite a bit, I'm trainable and eager to learn! : )
PaxPerPoten wrote:

Maybe that would be viable? What percentage of calls are basically completed by replacing a capacitor?
Bill
On 8/20/2012 5:08 PM, Bill wrote:

20 to 30 percent perhaps.. No real figures to go on. Most are Stormy's thermostats..;-p

PaxPerPoten wrote:

Steve only gets 5-15%. Maybe because he uses the 440V ones.

Exactly right, and I don't use that chinese crap either.
On 8/20/2012 9:43 PM, Steve wrote:

Heh!Heh! Them Mexican ones are really great too. When they let go...They oil the entire unit. ;-p

On 8/30/2012 4:21 PM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

Heck, the Mexican caps are better than the Chinese caps. O_o
TDD
Mexican caps have more beans inside?