Quartz Space Heater

There is no such thing as "0 Degrees Kelvin"... What Grade School Physics Class did you flunk out of? If that were true, all Dark Matter would dissaccociate, and Physics as we understand it wouldn't work at all. If there is no heat in space, then where does the waste heat go, that the Heat Dissipating Panels, that line the Shuttle Cargo Bay Doors go?.... Space is not a void. It has Gas, Dust, and all kinds of Particles, moving around in it. These all have energy associated with them, when referenced to Earth, or any other reference point you can name. That energy, will ulltimatly be transfered into heat when those things interact with any other matter, or energy, in which they come in contact, or influence.

where do you guys come up with this stuff..... Idiot's R' Us........

Reply to
You

Or make any sense in an energy newsgroup.

No thanks. Run out of civility pills? :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

But light converts to heat.

I hope you're kidding. Of course sound energy converts to heat, too.

Perhaps it is you who should go back to school.

Reply to
CJT

radiant heat energy

Reply to
CJT

I'm not trying to defend the OP, but loudspeakers overheating misses the point.

Reply to
CJT

Point being then that sound energy is somehow unique--in that it just somehow 'magically dissapears' from the universe...

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

No, point being that loudspeakers don't overheat because of the sound energy they emanate. They overheat from the energy they DON'T turn into sound.

Reply to
CJT

Ok Mr Pissy... space is 2.7 Kelvin

But if you measured the temp with NO light, or radiation, it would be 0 Kelvin.

Happy Now?

Reply to
<kjpro

Consider we were talking about heat and not light.

It&#39;s also not wasted heat if you are heating your home in the winter.

But the real question was, "which produces more heat".

Get back on track!

Reply to
<kjpro

Learn the language... what an idiot.

If you can&#39;t come up with something better than SPELLING or GRAMMER issues, I feel really sorry for your ass!

I&#39;m also sorry that this is all so new to you that you need EVERY LITTLE detail to UNDERSTAND it.

Reply to
<kjpro

Yes, when you showed up.

What did you do, take all of them to act half normal?

Reply to
<kjpro

:-)

Reply to
<kjpro

The point of this sub thread, though (if I can remember back that far), was that, during the heating season, this heat is not wasted. It directly offsets the demand on the furnace. The 500W lamp (it&#39;s not actually called a &#39;bulb&#39; in the industry) reduces the demand on the furnace by exactly 500W. And if you heat with electricity, then your total electric bill for that month will exactly the same, regardless of whether that lamp is lit the entire month or not. In fact, you could keep 50 if them burning and, as long as you&#39;re not opening windows to cool off, it&#39;ll be exactly the same. Curiously, you&#39;re feeding this lamp with 500 watts, for which it is giving you

500 watts of heat. In an all electric home, the light is, indeed, &#39;free&#39;.
Reply to
Mike Hartigan

Which is heat created... which makes his post CRAP.

Reply to
<kjpro

Sherlocks has spoken...

No shit, he really has.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

A few years back, I almost lost my last piece of good brain cell when I decided to attempt to learn ALL the vernacular and manipulation associated with the decibel. ...I&#39;ll never try that again.

The devil is truly in the details.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

I guess you have nothing substantive to say.

Reply to
CJT

Jeffrey Lebowski

| >So lets see how long you can hold a 500 watt halogen bulb in your hand after | >it has been burning for ten minutes. | >

| | The fact that you get burned is evidence of wasted energy. Consider | that you wanted light, not burned hands. | --

I never said I wanted light at all, get with it. My post was in reply to solar flare who said "Light is not heat"

Reply to
Justin

Where is electricity .24/kw?

The utility where I live burns minimal gas just enough so they can base their production cost on it. For example - using nuclear it cost 1 unit to produce one mw of electricity, two units of coal to produce one mw of electricity and ng cost 8 units to produce one mw of electricity. They list their cost as 8 units to create one mw of electricity and it&#39;s perfectly legal under the recently enacted rules re: deregulation. BGE works something like this

50% of the electricity is produced using nuclear, 40% using coal and maybe 5% other and 5% using ng. They legally state their cost is 8 units per mw of electricity.

Can you spell rip-off. There will never be anything resembling a legitimate completive market for electricity. Why? it can&#39;t be stored,there&#39;s no real competition, the local electric power grid weren&#39;t designed to ship electricity long distances, due line resistance there&#39;s a greater power loss the further electric is shipped and it stresses the power grids which were designed for local consumption. Deregulated electric rates will never save consumers money over sanely regulated rates. The next big rip of coming will be in "delivery charges" already in some areas "delivery charges" and "customer charges" are approaching the over priced cost of deregulated electricity.

Reply to
Mike