Qualified AC Tech In NYC?

I have a brand new Friedrich window unit (SS12M10) with a noisy compressor. It vibrates and produces more noise than any Friedrich unit I've ever owned.

Can't be right? These new premium 'Kühl' units are supposed to be just the opposite. (

)

I'm looking for a qualified AC tech in the NYC area who won't be dismissive of my complaint, simply because it relates to noise. (The unit otherwise works just fine)

Any advice/referrals would be greatly appreciated.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

A ) brand new ? Return it under warranty.

B ) Can't do that ? A visit from a tech is go>I have a brand new Friedrich window unit (SS12M10) with a noisy

Reply to
.p.jm.

You can't just pick up the phone and get a warranty replacement; Freidrich relies on its service technicians when making a decision to repair, replace or do nothing.

I would only agree to a warranty'd service call.

These units cost about $900 - Not so simple. This is a real rub for me, as I paid extra (about double a competitive units) for a premium machine; I expected better.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

The Unit was most likely bounced around in transit from the Manufacturer to the Distributor/Store , and you could have a broken internal compressor mount (not repairable) and/or an external compressor foot mount could have loosened up which can be retightened. I would contact the store you bought it from and and find out who handles such issues as yours...maybe they will have you return the unit for repair or replacement under warranty. Or, they may give you a place to take it to locally who will make the assesment / repair under warranty. But, you should not have to part with any monies if it is under warranty...and especially if its just been installed and used for the first time. If i were going to buy a small WIndow A/C, I would get it at a Walmart cause at least they are good on taking products back that are not working right (sounding right) . Heres something you can try IF you want to try it : WIth the unit running, take a long thin screwdriver or simular tool, and push it thru the outside intake slots until you can touch the compressor itself. Then apply a bit of pressure and see if the noise changes substantially...at least that will pinpoint that it is indeed the compressor making the noise. If you are going to do this, be careful you dont hit the fan blade or other components...and just the outside of the compressor shell is what you want to touch. Let us know .

Reply to
ilbebauck

PLONK

Reply to
Agent_C

Thanks David,

That suggestion to dampen the compressor with a screwdriver is awesome!

Best,

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

Reply to
.p.jm.

Oh, shit, I've been 'plonked' by another asshole civilian.

That is Sooooo 90's.

Reply to
.p.jm.

3 hrs??? $60/hr??? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Reply to
Steve

Take it back where you got it and swap it out for another one.

Reply to
Steve

You can buy earplugs by the gross for less then $5.00 at Walgreens. That should cover the entire family including pets.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

What are you? A Valley girl? ;-p

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Especially when you hit the 230VAC terminals.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Gift wrap this one for the Mother-in-law and go get a central air unit for yourself.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

What's amusing is that you actually think you're funny.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

Whats even more amusing is that you think somebody cares about you POS window shaker.

If its brand new as you say, then take it back to where you bought it and get another one under warranty.

Reply to
Steve

Shhhh. Humor him - it keeps him from biting things.

Reply to
.p.jm.

If you're looking for advice or help, this newsgroup is about the last place you'll find it. If any of these people were any good, they'd be in the field making a living not wasting their time here, that is unless they are retired and then you won't get much help either.

Reply to
John

Sorry sport, but when people ask stoopid questions or want us to tell stoopid people how to do stuff that they have no business attempting, yeah... they are gonna catch shit.

If a tech has a question about a specific piece of equipment, or there is a legitimate question where specifics are given.... starting with make/model/serial number, specific pressures, temperatures, etc... thats a different story.

Reply to
Steve

Whats amusing is that you think you are going to penny pinch here. Solve your own problem like a man. Whining here like a little girl will get you nothing but derision. We all work for what you want for free.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten