Last year I bought and returned 5 dehumidifiers. As I tried each one for
a time in the
basement, they eventually failed. The failure was the readout value and
functionality of the humidistat in all but one unit, which simply rattled
too much. Something had to be wrong with the environment, right? Well,
year, using a soap solution, I found four slow natural gas leaks at the
black pipe, all of which I then fixed. I bought another Dehumidifier (a
unit). "Knock-on-wood" this dehumidifier has not failed.
I think the Natural gas was the source of pollution that permeated the
humidity sensors polymer substrate in each dehumidifier.
A search yielded this text:
Chemical vapors may interfere with materials used for the humidity
The diffusion of chemicals into the sensor's polymer may cause a shift in
both offset and sensitivity. In a clean environment the contaminants will
slowly dissipate. High levels of pollutants may cause permanent damage to
the humidity sensor's polymer.
Has anyone experienced repeated dehumidifier failures like I have?