Problems with air conditioner

Page 1 of 3
x-no:archive:yes
I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very hot. Air was blowing through vents but not cold. The condenser outside was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning. Eventually finally the buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades very easily. Could this be the fan motor? I have a multimeter and know how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have two kids and money is tight right now. I saw no obvious leaks. I have a leak checker but it will be the morning before I can. But wouldnt it be making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars. Any help is appreciated!
Might be the capacitor.
Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap. Respectfully, Ron Moore

x-no-archive:yes
How can i check to see if my capacitor is bad? Ron Moore wrote:

Look for bulges in the housing, or visible leaks (mineral oil if new, PCB's if old). They do sell capacitor testers, but they are very expensive. If in doubt, replace. Capacitors are cheap.

Grab it with the power applied.
Who was it that was worried about giving advice that could turn out to be lible? Not you.
'What me worry?
A.E.N. (Alfred E Newman)

Hes trying to fit in but hes not smart enough.

Quoting: "Could this be the fan motor? I have a multimeter and know how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself."
Use the ohms scale. Spotting an obvious open or short isn't all that complicated. Some VOM also have a scale for farads.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year. Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of the bastards when a deminimus release happens?
No, but I'd like to.
Wasps are aparently active and nasty this year. I was at a church social last Saturday. A girl about three or four got stung on the leg by a wasp. Turns out the bleachers along side the softball field had several large and active nests.
Folks, lets be careful. Pull the covers slowly. Listen. Have wasp and hornet spray within reach.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I tend to proactively spray into any suspect enclosure and wait a bit before opening. If I can find a hole to spray into, a wasp could find it's way in as well.
Pete C.
Ah, the Eugene Tackleberry approach. Excellent.
http://www.tinet.ru/~stern/mix/police/pa1_20.jpg
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

So, you'd shove a can of bee killer up the mormun's ass and pull the trigger?
Sounds like a good idea.

i go for the wd-40 spray can and ciggie lighter method, with far superior results.

You don't thump the side of the unit to see if theres anybody home?? I buy wasp killer by the case.

I beat the caps on the big propane tanks, even when it's 40 out.