Portable Room A/C

big_dgreen had written this in response to

: Do they not have an well 1 ton, which is what your looking at may take the edge off. But with a portable ac I wouldn't expect anything magnificient and it's not that it doesn't have the capacity with for 400sq/ft it just doesn't have the means to deliver all that air to the room. It's not really a bad investment, seeings how you can slide it into different rooms, but remember you have to run a seperate duct that comes with the device out a window or somewhere where it won't just blow the heat right back into the room. Which also leaves you with infiltration from whatever hole in the wall you stick that duct into.

Everything has it's ups and downs but you have to do what you need to do to get by. It's just like a window unit on wheels. I wouldn't imagine it's very efficient either, so running it for a long period of time might be costly as it probably won't pull your office down to a temperature low enough to satisfy the thermostat in the machine so you'll probably have to turn it on and off manually. Could be wrong but I just assume that without having seen it or the room.

Hope I added some info you didn't already have!

------------------------------------- John wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 25893 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
big_dgreen

I live in Southern California, and the summers here are pretty hot. I have an aging Central A/C unit. I will be replacing this system at some point, but now I'm looking for a temp solution.

I am considering putting a portable a/c unit in an upstairs office to keep this room cooler on all but the very hot days when I'll run the central air. The office is app. 20 x 20 feet with a vaulted ceiling. There is a ceiling fan in the room also. The portable feature would also allow me to move the unit to the master bedroom at night.

My question is how good a job do these portable units do? I'm looking at a 12,000 btu Royal Air system, currently on sale at Costco for $350. This is less than one month's a/c bill during the peak summer months. Running it during the "off" peak summer days would probably pay for it, but I don't want to buy it if it doesn't really work.

Any thoughts on how well this could work on a room that can typically reach the upper 90's during very hot days?

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
John

Here are the specs on the unit I'm considering. It has an EER rating of 9.2. ___________________________________________________________ The Royal Sovereign ARP-1200EX is a portable single-room air conditioner capable of providing 12,000 BTU cooling from its compact, portable chassis. The dual exhaust hose vents warm air and condensate water through an outside window.

Two Hose Benefits:

  • One hose intakes outside air to cool the condenser and the other hose expels this warmed air outside, so that fresh air circulates better inside the room * Cools room air quicker * Lowers energy usage - more efficient design reduces continuous compressor operation

Features:

  • 12,000 BTU/Hr cooling * Dual Hose design * Energy Efficiency Rating (EER): 9.2 * Room size: Up to 400 sq. ft. * Three speed fan * Digital LED display and full-featured remote control * Self-evaporative system automatically exhausts collected moisture under normal conditions. For those extremely humid periods, the emergency holding tank collects excess moisture, preventing potential water damage. * Dehumidifies as it cools, removing up to 4.2 pints of water per hour * Portable design on casters for ease of mobility * Easy to clean, washable filter collects large dust particles and prevents bacteria build up * Automatic timer allows 1-12 hour shut off * Includes ventilation hose. Unit must be vented through outside window for proper operation. * Power consumption: 1,300 watts/11.5A * Power supply: 115VAC/60Hz / 1 phase * Rotary compressor * Refrigerant: R22 * Thermostat: 64?F - 90?F * Dimensions: 18.5" W x 16.1" D x 34.3" H * Weight: 77.2 lbs.

One year limited warranty parts and labor with a 5-year compressor warranty.__________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the comments.

Reply to
John

I presume you know that such a window unit weighs well over 100 pounds?

Should help, a lot. What also helps, is cleaning and PM for the central AC you have. I've seen some good results (lower energy bill) with a thorough cleaning.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Atre you fricking stupid or what? Just put a 10 ton block of ice outside the room and direct a fan across it. Problem solved, you're welcome.

Reply to
I Crack Me Up

Wow, there's a lot of hostility in this group. I asked a simple question and I can't believe how negative everyone turned. Not about the question I posed, but toward each other. Is this just competition, or some little kids playing on their parent's computer?

Thanks to those who responded in a civilized way and tried to help. I've always found a lot of help in the newsgroups in many ways. I guess this group needs some maturing.

Moving on.

Reply to
John

According to Appliance Magazine, the low life expectancy of a central air conditioning system is 8 - 11 years, the *average* is 13 - 17 with the high life expectancy being 19 - 23 years. Add to that that in 2005, the federally mandated *minimum* efficiency was increased from 10 SEER to 13 SEER. Now for the icing on the cake, is that the old R-22 refrigerant is being phased out. In 2004, the production and importation of R-22 was reduced by 35%, and in a year and a half it will be cut back an additional 75%, and no more equipment that takes the old refrigerant will be produced or imported.

Consider this.... If a new system cuts your utility usage by half, that system will pay for itself just in energy savings in short order. Just as an example... ARI (Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute) rates the heat pump system I am installing tomorrow at 15SEER with a national operating cost average of $615 per year to heat and cool a home....this comes out to just $51 and change per month to operate. FWIW, all of the new systems I install also come with a 10 years parts and labor extended warranty.

Now answer this question.... where was the benifit of replacing that compressor?? Where is the benifit of keeping that old system?? Would you put a new engine in a 20 year old gas guzzler car?? why not??

This is the single most expensive appliance in your home and each system is custom designed and installed to provide the best comfort in your home. OTOH, if you use the lowest bidder, than all bets are off.

Reply to
Noon-Air

"Noon-Air" wrote .

. He said he paid nothing because it was replaced under warranty.

I must have missed something, but I thought he said it was old.

Now I'm gonna lose sleep over this tonight.....

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I don't know of *ANYBODY*, not even insurance companies that will replace a compressor on a 20 year old system for *FREE* under any warranty of any kind...there is always going to be some kind of deductable, or co-pay, or.....

Reply to
Noon-Air

They deducted the cleaning and maint. Now, the system doesn't run.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

AHS replaced the compressor last summer for my deductible, $55.00. The system runs, no where did I say it didn't. My original question was how well would a portable unit cool one room if I didn't want to turn on the full system. Thanks.

Reply to
John

Or, perhaps, a few of the posters need some manners.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now I get it.

But Noony has a good point: What kind of insurance or home warranty company would change a compressor on a 20 year old unit?

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Penny wise, and pound foolish. Certainly, not an insurance company which will be in business very long.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon