Portable A/C on wheels as backup in case the central AC dies?

Page 1 of 2
I'm considering getting an extra portable AC on wheels for the bedroom (which is upstairs) in case my 20 year old central AC were to suddenly die. That way, I'd be able to get some sleep at night if I weren't able to immediately have a new central AC installed or the existing system couldn't be immediately repaired. Is this a good idea or do you I am crazy to want to spend a few hundred dollars on something to use as a backup for the bedroom in case the central AC should fail?
Granted my bedroom has ceiling fan, but I'm afraid that alone won't be enough, because it will most likely be upper 80s or hotter in the upstairs bedroom at night should the central AC fail in summer.
When central AC is working normally, as an added benefit, I suppose the portable may also be useful for purpose of cooling the bedroom at night by a few degrees without my having to lower the thermostat for the entire house.
I already have a portable AC for the home office (also upstairs), since that room has a cooling problem. I realize the portables on wheels don't work as well as window units due to negative pressure, but at night when the outside temperature is cooler they generally work well. Window units can't be installed here though.
J.

What it really sounds like is that your current AC isn't working right and the house isn't insulated/vented well enough to keep the heat from coming in.
If all you want is a bandaid, why not just install a window fan. Like you said, the night air is cooler, so that should do the job.
<<What it really sounds like is that your current AC isn't working right and the house isn't insulated/vented well enough to keep the heat from coming in. >>
It's a one zone system for two floors, and so the upstairs is warmer.
<<If all you want is a bandaid, why not just install a window fan. Like you said, the night air is cooler, so that should do the job.>>
How I would install a window fan in a casement window? The portable AC could be installed using a piece of plexiglas, but not sure how a window fan could be installed.
J.

fan
Use a fucking chainsaw.

there are casement window air conditioners they cost more but work well.
if you own a generator and have a power outage a window ac is a great thing on a hot night
If I were to do something like this I'd not just "keep it around in case". That's what stores are for. Actually, I'd probably simple move the existing portable unit to the bedroom until I could get the central air fixed. I mean, unless you live in Florida, or something I would think that you could limp by on just the one portable until you get your central air fixed.
[...]

Hey you fucking retard.
Google posts dont show immediately.
Might be they think you coulda posted kiddy porn or something I guess, and they dont want it in *THEIR ARCHIVES*
However, still no excuse for you to fucking post the same gawdammned shit onto usenet FOUR FUCKING TIMES.

I'd be pissed too, if I read the same identical post end-to-end, four times. :)
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

there are casement window air conditioners they cost more but work well.
if you own a generator and have a power outage a window ac is a great thing on a hot night
Jay-n-123 wrote:

We rigged these up in an apartment we lived in. Buy the window fans first, so you know the size. Get some kind of plexiglass and cut it to fit the whole window opening overlapping the edge of the frame, then cut a piece out of that to fit the fan in, in a vertical position with the cord coming from the bottom edge. We had plexiglass that was a double layer insulation type with channels through it and it was frosted for privacy.
We then cut some 1x3 to fit three sides of the window (the uncut vertical side, the top, and the cut vertical from the top of the window to the top of the fan opening) and drilled holes through the 1x and plexiglass so that the holes would line up.
You then open the window fully and sandwich the window frame between the plexi (outside) and the 1x (inside) and secure it at each hole with a wingnut and bolt and some big washers on the plexi side. You do this by reaching out through the hole you cut to fit the fan into; it can be a little precarious, especially on the second floor. Have extra hardware because you'll drop a few and running downstairs to get them gets old.
You then set the fan into the opening, and secure it from falling forward into the room by putting a spring curtain rod into the window frame in front of the top edge of the fan.
We're not very handy, but were very proud of ourselves for coming up with and executing this plan successfully!
Karen

Portables cost about $400. You can pick up a window unit for $79 at walmart.
If you don't want it in the window, use the chainsaw like the man said and put it in the wall.

Pardon the obvious, but the system IS 20 years old, instead of waiting for it to fail, get it replaced now and be done with it. That way, you might be out of A/C for maybe a day, instead of weeks. Do you wait for the engine in your car to blow up before trading it in on a new one??
Why not just switch the portable you already have to the BR if needed?
And, PC Richards et al always have these in stock, so IF the central A/C breaks, just run out and get one.
I have two portable Amanas, one I keep in the shop as a dehumidifier, the other is on the top floor where the central A/C isn't the greatest. They suck, but hey.....
The dehumidifying aspect of even a crappy A/C is quite a help on some days. I did the calcs some time ago (based on what a small A/C condenses out), and a 5 ton central A/C can crank out 100-200 gals of water on a single humid day. Almost pure, second only to true distilled water.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

Really?? what about all the stuff in the air that is being carried off by that condensate water?? all of the contaminates in the air that your breathing?? You can drink it if you want, not me.

the
Had a guy drink some water from his condensing furnace cause he thought it was pure. LOL

and?

A/C
out),
single