Portable a/c in auto?

Is it feasible to put a 5000 btu a/c in my Honda and run it off the alternator with an inverter?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
The Green Potato

LOL!

can't quite put a generator on the back... will the alternate provide sufficient amperage?

Reply to
The Green Potato

Sure. The generator on the rear deck was only used for the bear cooler, and deep fryer in the trunk. So, you should be OK.

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

Damn...the picture didn't come through my cheap newsgroup provider But I thought you would get the idea

Reply to
daytona°

Just remember, With enough money, even a tank can be made to fly. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

No, typical alternators put out around 50 to 60 amps. At 12 volts that's about 600 watts peak. You will use part of that running the rest of the car electrical things and recharging the battery.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I guess my Tundra isn't typical??? 130 amp alternator with an 850 cranking amp battery??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Your Alternator may have rating of 130 amps. but take good look at your wires coming of the alternator, I bet they are not even # 8 good for only 45 amps. I think auto companies miss represent the rating at large

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Noon-Air

yeah well how many Tundra's run a 100 kw ham radio transmitter?? :-)

Reply to
gofish

Its only got 2 transmitters...one thats 50 watts, the other is 200 watts...I don't have the kilowatt amplifier (yet) :-)

Reply to
Noon-Air

100 kw ???? wow!! is that like wireless power?
Reply to
Tekkie®

200 watts of RF output with solid state transmitter is needed apx. 25 amps. @ 13.5 VDC 50 watts perhaps around 10 amps.

And HAMS are limited to 1kw. CW output even so some may put out up to 2 kw are 4kw. SSB. I am working on 4-1000 must parts ready for assembly project for retirement ha-ha. Tony

Reply to
Tony

Calls for 40 amps minimum

Calls for 15 amps minimum

1500 watts peak SSB output

kewl... I have been looking at that new Tokyo Hi-Power solid state amp :-)

Reply to
Noon-Air