Portable a/c in auto?

Is it feasible to put a 5000 btu a/c in my Honda and run it off the alternator with an inverter?
Thanks in advance!
LOL!
can't quite put a generator on the back... will the alternate provide sufficient amperage?

Sure. The generator on the rear deck was only used for the bear cooler, and deep fryer in the trunk. So, you should be OK.
Damn...the picture didn't come through my cheap newsgroup provider But I thought you would get the idea

No, typical alternators put out around 50 to 60 amps. At 12 volts that's about 600 watts peak. You will use part of that running the rest of the car electrical things and recharging the battery.

I guess my Tundra isn't typical??? 130 amp alternator with an 850 cranking amp battery??

Your Alternator may have rating of 130 amps. but take good look at your wires coming of the alternator, I bet they are not even # 8 good for only 45 amps. I think auto companies miss represent the rating at large
Tony

yeah well how many Tundra's run a 100 kw ham radio transmitter?? :-)

Its only got 2 transmitters...one thats 50 watts, the other is 200 watts...I don't have the kilowatt amplifier (yet) :-)

200 watts of RF output with solid state transmitter is needed apx. 25 amps. @ 13.5 VDC
50 watts perhaps around 10 amps.
And HAMS are limited to 1kw. CW output even so some may put out up to 2 kw are 4kw. SSB. I am working on 4-1000 must parts ready for assembly project for retirement ha-ha. Tony

Calls for 40 amps minimum

Calls for 15 amps minimum

1500 watts peak SSB output

kewl... I have been looking at that new Tokyo Hi-Power solid state amp :-)

snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

100 kw ???? wow!! is that like wireless power?

Just remember, With enough money, even a tank can be made to fly. Bubba