Portable A/C

Page 1 of 4
Any recommendations for a portable A/C, about 8000 BTU (the kind with a flexible duct that goes into the window)?
I don't need heat from it -- just A/C and dehumidification.
The names Soleus and Amcor pop up a lot. The familiar names like Friedrick don't seem to have anything at all.
--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

And I did spell Friedrich right when I searched for them.
--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
Home Cheapo or LoweBalls

PC Richards carries Amana, and occasionally another brand. I have two. So far so good. About $350. Newspaper ads show others, about the same price.
But even the salesguy was hemming and hawing, as they supposedly get a lot of returns, due to high expectations. The EER is very low, the BTUs proly not what the label says (about 8K), but, for excellent dehumidification (buckets of water, also will throw the condensate out with the heat (a misting process--nice), which might even help efficiency), and passable A/C, if the space is not too big, or enclosed, like a basement.
For winter, get a standalone dehumidifer--which also acts as a 600-800 watt heater.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

The OP said he didn't require heating. I think you're a bit on the high side in your heat output estimate. I think 400 watts for a residential unit would be more realistic. You're dropping the relative humidity which will affect latent heat, and the units themselves only draw 600-800 watts. Even a heating element isn't 100% efficient.

Sorry, but it is surely 100% efficient, in that all the energy delivered to it (not dissipated in transmission) is transferred to local load.
And, for winter, the dehumidifier does not dissipate energy outdoors, which, for this discussion, is as good as it gets.
On Jun 27, 4:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

I understand your point. Let me rephrase what I'm trying to say and maybe you can clarify my thinking. A resistance heater is adding the full load to the room and the relative humidity would stay more or less the same. A dehumidifier would remove humidity, and add the full heat load initially. After the dehumidifier ran for a while, wouldn't the sensible heat be lower?

No

Dehumidifiers are MORE than 100% efficient as heaters, as latent heat pumps, since removing water vapor from air adds heat. I measured a 1.6 COP with a power meter and a measuring cup.
Nick

units
pumps,
So you're saying a dehumidifier that consumes 800 watts of energy is providing more than 800 watts of heat?
BULLSHIT!!!!
your far better off buying several window units, more efficent, no moving hassles, quieter, since at least some of the noise is outside.
and small window units are cheap.
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:55:23 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Wrong. Window units are NOT more efficient than central A/C systems.....especially the smaller cheaper ones.
Wrong. "No moving hassles'??? When I move, I dont take my central A/C with me. If you move, you will certainly take your precious window shakers with you. Wrong. Window units are NOT quieter than central A/C systems.
Right (for once) small window units are cheap.
Bubba

Bubba, he's comparing them to the portable a/c's, not central air.

Wellllllllll...................Shit! :-) Bubba

Yep. Think of it as a swamp cooler in reverse. An unswamp heater.
Psychrometrics are not so favorable, however. It's a dry heat.

BULLSHIT
I guess you're a Edenpure believer too???
What a crock of shit that is!!

Well, it will produce more than 800 watts worth of heat. Where did the extra come from, the condensing of the water from the air. When water vapor is condensed to liquid, it gives up heat.
David

Where was the heat in the first place?
In the room... so it's not EXTRA heat!

Latent versus sensible heat.
You are ignorant of thermodynamics and unable to understand the physical principles.

I understand shit that you don't.
The heat was there to begin with idiot!