Please recommand good quality gas furnace and AC

I live in a Chicago suburb in the midwest where the winter is very cold and the summer can be extremely hot. This winter I just paid about $700 to replace the control board and inducer motor for 5 yr old Bryant Plus

80t. Last summer I paid about $1200 to replace evaporator coil for 15 old Bryant A/C unit. Is Bryant a good quality brand? I inherited both from the previous owner of the house. I am not sure how long they will last w/o any breakdown.

I am thinking about replacing furnace/AC together next year. Could someone recommand a good quality brand which can last for at least 10 years like Toyota or Honda in the auto industry? I hate to call for emergency services in the cold winter or hot summer.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ZhuW.Chicago

Bryant is basically a Carrier product, it's good. Consumer Reports lists american standard as the best furnace manufacturer. They build the Trane product. I used to go with Carrier, now I prefer Trane. Get a

14 Seer txv a/c system, and a hi efficiency 2 stage variable speed furnace. Cost you a fortune but worth it in the long run.

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

If you want the best go with American Standard, a bit pricey but worth every penny when installed correctly.

- All the free heating and air answers you want!

Reply to
Al Moran

Ive found Carrier is not the "healthiest" brand and their repair parts are quite expensive but they have the "Big Box Name". I dont recommend any brands. They dont pay me for that. I will, however, recommend that you find a good installer and that you purchase a brand with a 10 yr parts AND labor warranty. After that, move, replace the unit again or take your chances. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

WOW...GUYS...this is the most impressive reply I have read in a LONG time

See....you ALL can be very informative if need be

Reply to
daytona¡ã

Do your homework before making any decisions! Proper Sizing & Installation are the critical parts!

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Thanks for the advices. Trane will be the one for me to go after reviewing the discussion in the news group and consumer report rating.

Reply to
ZhuW.Chicago

The guy I work for raves about Rheem Contour. Says that gets great reviews, and works nicely. I've helped install a bunch of them, and they install fairly well, also.

My only experience with Bryant was a friend of mine had a blower motor short out. The Missus reset the breaker repeatedly until it stayed on. Figured that would help. What it actually did was to arc and fry the relays on the circuit board, so I had to replace the blower and the board both.

Replacing both at the same time is wise.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have you ever done anything on your own? Who wipes your ass when you take a dump?

another friend...........

.......and Im sure you had a friend help you because there is no way you diagnosed that yourself or did any of the repair yourself.

Nice try, "bullshit man" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Run Forest, run!

- All the free heating and air answers you want!

Reply to
Al Moran

In my case, the fuse on the control board was fine. According to the technician, the inducer motor got damaged caused by malfunction of the control board.

Reply to
ZhuW.Chicago

Hmm. I thought an inducer fan was 110 volts, and the board just turns on or off the power to the inducer fan. How could that damage the fan?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

if its a 2 stage furnace

Reply to
Noon-Air

That explains a bit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The inducer motor has two speeds. What is the reason behind the two stage furnace? Please shed some light. Thanks.

Reply to
ZhuW.Chicago

Comfort and energy savings

Reply to
Noon-Air

Reply to
jamesgangnc

"Noon-Air" wrote

I'd argue energy savings. Any way you slice it, a certain amount of BTU's must be used to raise the room temperature to a desired set point. On low fire, it'll just run longer. Don't believe otherwise.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Reply to
jamesgangnc

A bit late here, but let me suggest you pick a brand / model for good reviews but stick to the basic model (single speed) and get your HVAC guy to install the "FanHandler" product. I have it and it's just awesome. Makes your furnace work like a variable speed. It's only $200US (if you can get it yourself--good luck) for the part.... just make sure that the motor that comes with the furnace is a high-quality one...

No, I don't work for them... check my posts on the matter...

Peace, Dan

Reply to
dantheman