Please comment on these 2 house furnaces.

Hi,

I am in the market for a new house furnace. I have had a number of quotes and narrowed it down to two quotes. There are pros and cons for both quotes so I am looking for some advice.

Quote 1:

York PCN9 100 BTU funace Modulating furnace Limited lifetime on the heat exchanger

5 year limited parts 1 Year labour It comes with a humidifier and larger air filter. $50 each year for the air filter through the installer. $50 every 2 years for the flow through filter. 95% AFUE

Quote 2 Keeprite VS90 100 BTU furnace

2 stage furnace Limited lifetime on the heat exchanger 10 year no hassel replacement 10 year parts 1 year labour thorugh Keeprite additional 4 years labour through dealer. It comes with a humidifier and larger air filter. At every 2 year service call dealer will give me 2 air filters and replace humidifer filter. 92% AFUE

Price difference between quote 1 and quote 2 is $1600

Comments?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yes, Just think of how much time and gas you wasted getting all those bids from all those companies and now you're wondering if a guy giving you

2 filters a year for free is worth it. Too bad they all didnt charge you $150 for an estimate. I think that would have narrowed your decision real quick. ..........and geee, not a word about who gave the most accurate load calculation and duct analysis. Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

Bubba;

Homeowners generally are not aware of all those things related to the HVAC trade. And, he's just asking your opinion on how he should or what he should do about spending money. Never mind you don't know what his needs really are, nor do you know what his financial situation is. Not that he's in dire straights of a new system, or even if his old one worked well for him in the past. Or if he's staying put or selling soon.

Can't you just tell him he needs to buy the best for the most? And not worry about it.? Not to be concerned on the size, or who is doing the work. Just buy it! What ever it is, just buy it.

Reply to
Zyp

Wow, I post a msg and within a few hours I am lucky to get four useless responses.

I could care less about the $1600 difference. But when you get three quotes and each person is trashing the other guys product it is pretty hard to figure out what is worthwile and what is not. The York guy tells me Keeprite sucks, The Keeprite guy tells me Lenox sucks who then says York sucks.

Everyone seems to sell one product and trashes the rest. Great help in making a decision.

As for charging me $150 for getting a quote for a furnace no problem. As long as every time you go shopping for a car, get quotes for a mortgage or get bits for other home improvements you're ok with paying the $150.

Thanks for the advice you're a testiment to your profession.

Reply to
Alex

I personally like the Keeprite unit... HOWEVER, it's more important to get the one that's sized, installed and properly set-up to operate with-in the manufacture's specifications. So, find the best installer, with the best service you can find and have them install the equipment that they are familar with and one that stocks parts for emergency service.

Reply to
KJPRO

Most techs that trash a brand don't understand WHY that brand is failing. As most equipment failures are due to installation issues!

As long as they bring their car lot *to my home*, I'll be happy to pay the $150 proposal fee. Tell you what, how about you load up your home and bring it to the shop for inspection for a new system! Then and only then, will you deserve a free quote.

Reply to
KJPRO

I could care less about the $1600 difference. But when you get three quotes and each person is trashing the other guys product it is pretty hard to figure out what is worthwile and what is not. The York guy tells me Keeprite sucks, The Keeprite guy tells me Lenox sucks who then says York sucks.

Everyone seems to sell one product and trashes the rest. Great help in making a decision.

As for charging me $150 for getting a quote for a furnace no problem. As long as every time you go shopping for a car, get quotes for a mortgage or get bits for other home improvements you're ok with paying the $150.

Thanks for the advice you're a testiment to your profession.

What about the different Rheem/RUUD, Trane/American Standard, or Carrier models??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Hi Alex,

You have seen the results of your efforts here...

I'd suggest that you try alt.home.repair.

In my experience, folks over there are both more generous, and more knowledgeable than any of those responding to you here. (I will also add that I had essentially the same experience here a while ago. Each of these groups seems to develop a "personality" and the pattern here is certainly clear.)

In any case, I wish you the best with your quest,

Reply to
Kenneth

Google is a good thing... and after being on this group for over 10 years, and fielding thoudsands of the *SAME* questions on here that I get on the phone around the clock, it gets pretty old...

Here is the top questions that get asked on here as well as dozens of times a day on the telephone....

How much is an air conditioner??

Is XXXX.XX too much to pay for an air conditioner??

How much to come put some of that "freezone" stuff in my air conditioner??

Whats the best brand of air conditioner??

My air conditioner wasn't working right so I put a new thermostat on it and not it doesn't do anything....whats wrong with it??

I just bought a cheap thermostat at a big box store, how do I hook it up??

"Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob" has been here a half dozen times and my air conditioner is still not working right... what do I do??

and so on and so forth ad nausium.....and its all mostly because they went with the lowest price, instead of paying a *COMPETENT*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC professional to have the job done right the first time.

THis news group was set up for professionals, not home owners, yet they flock in here and expect us to tell them (sight unseen) whats wrong with their furnace or air conditioner and how to fix it for free. Thats something kin to calling a car mechanic and telling you car won't run and asking him to diagnose it over the phone and tell you how to fix it....and all for free.

*NOBODY* can properly or correctly diagnose a comfort system without actuall measurements of pressures and temperatures.... and thats assuming that everything is clean and the supply and return ductwork is correctly sized, and all the registers are open, and has a clean filter in it.

Don't like it??? get over it and go back to alt.home.repair.

FWIW, its still unknown just how many people's and companies time got wasted by the OP in searching out the lowest price quotes, as its also unknown if there was ever a complete heat load/loss analysis, or ductwork airflow calculation done. Please.... until the entire story is known, and reliable information is given, then please carry your ass back to alt.home.repair.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Your welcome. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

The longer warranty sounds good. I havn't worked with either of the equipment, so can't comment on that. Did either company do a load calculation, to be sure you're not over or under sizing?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What he said! Get a few more quotes on other brands... Do some research on brands & installers. Extended warranties are nice. Some may never be used, but some are worth their weight in cash.

As for me, I'd pick the green one, it'd match my basement decor...

geothermaljones

Reply to
geothermaljones

Bubba posted for all of us...

Balls!

Reply to
Tekkie®

I had to get the gas shocks, those Pintos are not designed for condensing unit in the back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why don't you answer Be-Hate-Me's question???

Reply to
KJPRO