Payne heat pump freeze up

Dear Turtle,

Saw your answers on Google and was impressed. You seem to be the Tech for me!

I live in Augusta, GA area. I have a Payne split unit. No trouble in summertime. Winter comes along and WHAM, unit freezes up when temps

are below 40..typically around your 4am wake up call time.

Unfortunately I have a home warranty. I am sure you know what that entails as far as techs are concerned. I am interested in back up info

to toss at them to assist them in assessing the problem.

Problem: Freeze up, blows cold air, no auto turn off, no heat strips

come on. I can turn the strips on from thermostat, so they work, but not automatically.

The first set of techs last year (unit is made in mid to late 90's) replaced the control board, twice because the first time they cut off the terminals to hook it up and when they decided it was a bad board, the second board that came in had the correct hookup and they had to rewire

it back to its original condition!..Needless to say by this time the outside temps have warmed up enough that there were no more freeze ups.

This year, same problem, new bunch of techs...looks and almost acts like Ernest P Worrel. He is okay, but has to keep calling the boss. Boss doesn't like to show up. ANYWAY...tech thinks maybe the strips weren't wired back but he doesn't know enough to know. Boss says it has to be cold for him to check.

NOW, my question here is, does it have to be cold to check? I know they check these things in the factory and it is not cold there. Can't

they hook up something to manually place it in defrost to see if it works without waiting for the temp outside to drop?

Not the typical dumb blonde female, Soggy Bottom Thanks for any help!

Reply to
jmbreedlove

nope, that part didn't work, lets try another one that we can charge the customer for

give it time

his boss is full of sh*t

no

yes

Call the home warranty company and tell them that if they can't send a competent tech to fix the problem, that your going to call you owwn tech and send them the bill. Then DO IT. home warranty companies use the cheapest lowball contractors they can find, then they take up to 90 days to pay the tech a fraction of what a real tech gets. To me it sounds like there are a couple of possible problems, neither of which is an expensive repair.

Reply to
Noon-Air

??

hmmm, you're going to teach a tech how to repair something? That should be interesting. What do you do when you go to the dentist? You teach him too?

.......and you let them do this why? Would you allow your auto mechanic to remove the steering wheel from your car and install a pair of vise grips to drive it with for the winter?

That should be your first clue.............

That should be your second clue...........

That should be your third clue.............

Let me answer your question with a question. Does it have to be freezing out for me to know how big your nipples are? Answer: No. I can simply remove your sweater and bra to tell if they are. There is always another way is what I'm trying to say.

Yes, its called a jumper and a forced defrost.

That is always debatable.

Sorry to hear that. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Ah Bubba and Noon-air, you are truely a trip!

You guy confirmed my suspicion. Mr. Bubba, no not trying to teach the tech. Just getting some background info to ask somewhat intelligent questions. I am sure you GUYS get tired of hearing idiotic questions.

Boss man coming tomorrow. This is his last try before I go to Home Warranty people. I know that new techs need someplace to learn, and I understand that experienced techs/companies aren't happy with the way the warranty people treat them. I respect that.

I also appreciate you pe> On 6 Dec 2006 06:43:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: >

Reply to
Soggy Bottom

So, how big are your nipples?

Can you squeeze anything out of them?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Hi Guys,

The Boss came out today....3 hours late, BUT...with the info I have received from you and this group site, I was able to understand what he was saying and able to determine if it was bull or not.

Discovered, what his newbie tech had discovered and didn't know what to do, was that my reheat was not wired up to come on when in defrost mode which didn't work either. Bad wiring job on condensor. Went up to the air-handler in the attic...again bad wiring job..most likely due to earlier atttempts by the previous owner's attempts to have it repaired.

I was able to see first hand how it went into defrost mode and even assisted the Tech in trouble shooting since he couldn't be in two places at once.

Thanks aga> > Dear Turtle,

Reply to
Soggy Bottom