Payne 13 AC unit estimate

Hi,

I have an estimate from a local company (they're fair and reputable based on past work they've done for me) to replace my current AC unit (inside and outside). They've offered several options - I'm interested in the lower priced option - a Payne 13 system - the service guy tells me that the important components and technology is essentially the same as the more expensive Carrier Comfort 13 system they also quoted - and that the Payne brand is just Carrier's alternate (less expensive) brand.

Even though the local company has been fair AFAIK, for this kind of money I need to get a second opinion - thinking of getting a competitive quote.

The quote I have is for parts and labor to replace all of the inside and outside components, including a new disconnect and whip and thermostat - no ductwork - about $5,500 - he says that I could go from the 3 ton they've quoted to a 3 1\\2 ton for another $300 - is this quote in the ballpark for North Texas? THANKS!

Reply to
TNSTAAFL

Additional information - the inside unit is in a utilities closet on the ground floor level - NOT in the attic - an updraft unit, I think it's called. Also, the other assumption is that the existing tubing will be OK for the new unit.

Also, I called another vendor I found from the Carrier site for a second over-the-phone opinion - gave them the same specifics - a Payne 13 unit, all new inside and outside including all parts and labor and a new disconnect, whip, and thermostat, etc. - their price was $4,250.

Thanks for any feedback!

Reply to
TNSTAAFL

Go for the low-bidder over the phone ! Fuck that guy who did good fair work for you before !

Reply to
.p.jm.

Hey man, I'm just trying to get an idea of whether the guy who did work for me before was still playing fair with me - for $5K, I'm not taking it blindly without checking around - just to be sure - it's a lot of money. I'd certainly give the guy I've been using an opportunity to sharpen his pencil - but $1,250 is $1,250 - competition and free enterprise is what this country is all about - if two guys are in business, essentially offering the same product, and one guy is OK with less profit, that's OK with me, too.

Reply to
TNSTAAFL

3 ton systems replacements can run the full range from $4100 up to $10,000 and more (not including ductwork).

Payne is Carriers cheap builder grade junk... suitable for landlords and cheapskates.

Personally, I wouldn't have *any* Carrier products in my home....I have worked on too many of them.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I ain't even gonna go there..... you done starched 'em when your mama come out from under the porch to bring your coke.

Reply to
Steve

Lets not get uppity, now.

Reply to