OT Windows Vista woes

My last daughter goes to college this August, and to be honest, I might recommend to her to use XP Pro over the new Vista rubbish.

Anyone have Vista and if so, are these articles in Computer PC and others correct? Gates is in cahoots with the government for sure.

Rich

Reply to
Geoman

I bought a new computer for the office....and Wiped the H/D and loaded XP home

Best move to make

Reply to
daytona°

Rich,

I have a month old Toshiba laptop that came with Vista... no other choice.

It was a piece of crap. The wireless connections would drop for no reason, it would crash every 17 minutes due to a time synchronization problem, and many drivers won't work with it.

I wiped it and put XP pro on... which was a chore all by itself. Toshiba does not support this and there are whole websites set up to council people trying to "downgrade" Tosh laptops back to XP.

If you can find one, buy a laptop with XP installed. I think Toshiba makes the best laptops around... but this experience pissed me off.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Vista is MS's take on not allowing you to do things! Yes, that is correct.

Vista is all about keeping Hollywood and the likes happy, not the consumer. As a result, not only is Vista crippled but it won't allow things such as drivers that are not certified by MS. "Certified" in this case tends to mean tested such that DRM (Digital Rights Management) is intact.

Vista's getting in the way is a PITA to 3rd party software folks and consumers who just want to use programs they purchased.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

WOW, thanks for sharing about downgrading to XP!

I like Toshiba and S>> My last daughter goes to college this August, and to be honest, I might

Reply to
Geoman

It's not "downgrading", it is "retro upgrading" ;)

gerry

Reply to
gerry