OT, In A Way

I did a lot of HVAC work with my friend GB and I was supposed to meet him today to go over a 7.5 ton compressor change out I did Friday and Saturday. GB died today, he was 71 and I got on to him all the time about working too hard and he was cross with me when I spoke with him yesterday afternoon about me doing the same thing he was doing, running until falling over. I've been known to go 24 hours straight and spend a week recuperating. I did it 6 weeks ago and it took a month instead of a week to get going again and there I was, up on a roof swapping out a really big hunk of metal. GB was in intensive care last week where he already died once and was brought back but dammit when he got home, he was supposed to stay off his feet and not exert himself. I caught him on his hands and knees running a power circular saw, cutting a hatch into the floor of his house to get at some pipes and wiring. You can't tell your friends not to kill themselves if they're bound and determined but all you can do is give them your support and friendship. A bunch of us guys who were loosely associated are getting together to make sure everything gets taken care of, it's the least we can do for our friend.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

He was doing what he chose to do, living how he chose to live. He died when he died, doing that, instead of being and living like what some doctor told him he should be like and and live like.

What's the problem ?

Yep.

Reply to
.p.jm.

I'm sorry to hear that, I know you have talked about this before. My condolences.

It's tough to slow down, even when you know you have to. I had a favorite uncle that died hours after he was released from the hospital, he was back at work when he shouldn't have been.

With all that said, how thin the line is between life and death is striking. You have friends that you just expect to always be there and then they aren't.

Take care, j

Possibly for the first time EVER, I totally agree with pjm!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You're a slow learner :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

Thanks man, I just saw his wife and oldest daughter this evening after I paid off the Johnstone Supply bill and got our little helper BH paid for the job we just finished. I'm doing my best to help his family out because over the years they pretty much became family to me. I'm glad he lived to see his youngest daughter become a mommy to Addison Olivia the cutest little 2 1/2 year old and my newest girlfriend, hey, she laughs at my jokes. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

'Living' is not just about 'breathing for as many years as you can'. There's more to it than that. And each individual , if they're lucky enough, gets to make that decision for themselves. Many do not, and THAT is a sad thing.

That bothers only the living, AFAIK.

Reply to
.p.jm.

THAT is a very nice thing to do.

Hopefully the child will get smarter with age :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

I totally agree.

And each individual , if they're

And that is enough.

I don't know how old you are, but as I get older, my connection and what I can do for the people around me gets stronger. It's less about me.

What you find is that there are some you can help, and it is productive. Some you help and it is wasted. And some you just have to stand by.

Getting back to the breathing as many years as possible. I have a number of friends in their 70's and 80's. And when you get to that age you have a fuller life than much of the "youth". They are all busy: Steve at 81 teaches acrobatics and performs as often as possible, Harry at 75 is always up to something and walks around 5 miles a day, Ilia at 72 still takes important pictures (including some from the tops of tall buildings under construction).

But the limitations of what you can do, and when you need to slow down, are more real. Dying at 71, for someone so active, is a shame. The lesson, such as it is, is for us to know when to back off a bit so we can do more later. It's not easy.

I think TDD has handled this exactly right, but life never turns out exactly the way you want it.

I don't wish to touch off an endless thread. Just leave this lie and pick up any differences you have with me somewhere else. I won't respond.

The key to sucessful living is to find good balance between work, play, family, relaxation, excersise , and ones personal relationship with God .

Reply to
ilbebauck

What I tell people about my friend is, he was a 71 year old recovering juvenile delinquent who was trying to become the best man he could be. He finally figured out he had friends and family who cared about him and should do right by them. His wife of 31 years is overwhelmed right now with everything going on that needs to be done. There is a memorial service this evening but I may not make it because one of our customers called with a furnace that's out. It's a little old lady with her kids and grand kids living in the house and she was one of our favorite old gals, 90 years old and still working. I have to head over there right now to repair her furnace that got flooded and ate the control board. I hope nothing else is wrong.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It takes a while to get through this. Once the have to be done stuff is taken care of, she'll need some looking after. This could be just a weekly lunch "date" at her place. Long time couples have a lot invested in their spouse and the void left needs some filling to temper the depression of loss.

You'll know what to do, but expect 6 months or so of transition. Time spent now pays dividends later.

Take care, j

There is a memorial

Ah, well, back to normal, I see.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

And hope she doesn't get proficient with weapons...;>

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

I have never seen such a load of crap before, outside of politics. Bob Vila and Richard Karn are knocking central heating by showing the ducts leaking heat into the basement and outside walls. Yes thats right, the outside walls, shown with images of a duct running inside an OUTSIDE wall. Does anyone run heat in the outside walls except maybe in southern crapistan?

If its advertised on TV its a lie (mostly and usually). I won't dignify the disreputable company by name. /rant

Reply to
George Jetson

OOPS! I was wrong about Addy's age, she just turned 2. No wonder she laughs hysterically when I go for her toes. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It could be because she hasn't learned how to scream in fear yet ......

Reply to
.p.jm.

And of course, all electric resistance heaters have exactly the same efficiency.

Reply to
.p.jm.

The no fan type IS more efficient at generating heat. I just thought of that.

I see on tv many hot air vents near outside windows. Makes sense, and hot water or steam is most always on outside walls.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Nope, the energy used by the fan to move the air doesn't just disappear, the air molecules rub together and generate heat.

Every last watt-hour consumed inside your home becomes 3.41 BTUs of heat. The exception to this is any light that escapes through windows, or if you charge batteries inside and use them outside. Other than that, turn on a

100 watt incandescent bulb for an hour and get 341 BTUs.
Reply to
Daniel who wants to know