OT, In A Way

Page 1 of 2
I did a lot of HVAC work with my friend GB and I was supposed to meet him today to go over a 7.5 ton compressor change out I did Friday and Saturday. GB died today, he was 71 and I got on to him all the time about working too hard and he was cross with me when I spoke with him yesterday afternoon about me doing the same thing he was doing, running until falling over. I've been known to go 24 hours straight and spend a week recuperating. I did it 6 weeks ago and it took a month instead of a week to get going again and there I was, up on a roof swapping out a really big hunk of metal. GB was in intensive care last week where he already died once and was brought back but dammit when he got home, he was supposed to stay off his feet and not exert himself. I caught him on his hands and knees running a power circular saw, cutting a hatch into the floor of his house to get at some pipes and wiring. You can't tell your friends not to kill themselves if they're bound and determined but all you can do is give them your support and friendship. A bunch of us guys who were loosely associated are getting together to make sure everything gets taken care of, it's the least we can do for our friend.
TDD
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:49:10 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    He was doing what he chose to do, living how he chose to live. He died when he died, doing that, instead of being and living like what some doctor told him he should be like and and live like.
    What's the problem ?

    Yep.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 10/18/2011 08:26 PM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Possibly for the first time EVER, I totally agree with pjm!
Jon

    You're a slow learner :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 10/19/2011 06:39 PM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Ah, well, back to normal, I see.
Jon

I'm sorry to hear that, I know you have talked about this before. My condolences.
It's tough to slow down, even when you know you have to. I had a favorite uncle that died hours after he was released from the hospital, he was back at work when he shouldn't have been.
With all that said, how thin the line is between life and death is striking. You have friends that you just expect to always be there and then they aren't.
Take care, j
On 10/19/2011 3:01 PM, j wrote:

Thanks man, I just saw his wife and oldest daughter this evening after I paid off the Johnstone Supply bill and got our little helper BH paid for the job we just finished. I'm doing my best to help his family out because over the years they pretty much became family to me. I'm glad he lived to see his youngest daughter become a mommy to Addison Olivia the cutest little 2 1/2 year old and my newest girlfriend, hey, she laughs at my jokes. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:51:16 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    THAT is a very nice thing to do.
    Hopefully the child will get smarter with age :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 10/19/2011 7:25 PM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

And hope she doesn't get proficient with weapons...;>
I have never seen such a load of crap before, outside of politics. Bob Vila and Richard Karn are knocking central heating by showing the ducts leaking heat into the basement and outside walls. Yes thats right, the outside walls, shown with images of a duct running inside an OUTSIDE wall. Does anyone run heat in the outside walls except maybe in southern crapistan?
If its advertised on TV its a lie (mostly and usually). I won't dignify the disreputable company by name. /rant
--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:48:41 -0400, "George Jetson"

    And of course, all electric resistance heaters have exactly the same efficiency.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

The no fan type IS more efficient at generating heat. I just thought of that.
I see on tv many hot air vents near outside windows. Makes sense, and hot water or steam is most always on outside walls.
Greg

Nope, the energy used by the fan to move the air doesn't just disappear, the air molecules rub together and generate heat.
Every last watt-hour consumed inside your home becomes 3.41 BTUs of heat. The exception to this is any light that escapes through windows, or if you charge batteries inside and use them outside. Other than that, turn on a 100 watt incandescent bulb for an hour and get 341 BTUs.

Absolutively true. However, the effective heat, as felt by people's in the room, may differ a bit from one type of appliance to another.
As an extreme, you can have a radiant glow tube 15 feet away from you making your skin feel warmish, even though the room temperature maight still be 50 degrees F.

This is why the $400 "infrared" heaters (EP,ST, H&G, etc.) annoy me so much, all of the infrared is contained within the unit, they are just overpriced forced air heaters. If you want true infrared either get a regular quartz infrared radiant electric heater or (better) a ceramic plaque infrared gas heater.

    OK - a 10 watt fan vs a 1200 watt heater element ... good point :-)

    Yeh - to deal with the cold near its source. Often under windows for that reason also.
    Plus, some women complain about radiators in the middle of the room :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

On 10/19/2011 7:25 PM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

OOPS! I was wrong about Addy's age, she just turned 2. No wonder she laughs hysterically when I go for her toes. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:26:29 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    It could be because she hasn't learned how to scream in fear yet ......
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

    'Living' is not just about 'breathing for as many years as you can'. There's more to it than that. And each individual , if they're lucky enough, gets to make that decision for themselves. Many do not, and THAT is a sad thing.

    That bothers only the living, AFAIK.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/